Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    HOUSTON... We've found the problem! Incorrect assembly of the PULSE FUEL PUMP. Pay EXTREMELY close attention here:

1. The check valves have been damaged during assembly. A notable "dent" is visible in the below image:

Also: The diaphragms must be at the OUTSIDE. You absolutely MUST mate the correct gasket to the center pump body, ON THE CORRECT SIDE OF THE PUMP. Markings on the gaskets and diaphragms clearly show that the gaskets were not on the appropriate/correct sides of the pump body, which will prevent the pump from functioning properly. See below image:

Make absolutely certain that the correct gasket (Items #12 and #13 in your pump diagram) is on the correct side- and that ALL ARROWS on every piece of the pump are all on the same side (stacked atop each other).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Thank you sir. I started it on the muffs but didn't run it maybe 5 min. I'm not sure how long I can safely run it. Now work calls. Will be next week before I can get it to the lake. I will update since this has been such a drawn out issue.

At least you guys have some reprieve from me until then. I hope you all have a blessed Easter.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Happy Easter to you as well.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    post #49 back down the road of how important correct assembly is
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Update 04.21.2021

I have to give you credit for picking apart the pics. Originally I rebuilt it wrong. I found the diagram and rebuilt it again using parts from the original pulse pump and the rebuild kit. Still no correction of the issues. That's why I asked if it needed a new kit everytime it came apart.

I then rebuilt the pulse pump again. Correctly this time. Replaced the primer bulb again. Cut another 2 niches off each end of the fuel line. Took it to the lake. It ran about 12 min at 5400 rpm after warming up like a scalded dog and died. Reprimed it and it started, ran another few min and died. Same thing different day. I had a buddy following me in case I needed a tow back. He owns a vehicle mechanic shop. He was perplexed.

While it was warm I pulled the plugs and checked the compression. Cylinders were all around 115psi with my cheap Guage.

I called the dealer I bought it from. We walked thru everything I have done so far. He said without hooking it up to the air/fuel Guage he has he can't tell anything. He also said he replaced all of the fuel parts prior to me buying as a precaution. He also said he didn't think it would run like it is with a bad Reed bank. That's why everything looked new.

I will update again when it gets out of the shop.

How long is it safe to run on the muffs so I have that tidbit of knowledge. Everyone has different ideas.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Traditionally, 5-10 minutes (at idle) is the expected time period. Can't really run the engine RPM's up unless you have a dyno or some other means of loading the engine.

7. Member
    Got it back from the dealer mechanic. He double checked everything I did. After diagnosis he replaced what he called the two diaphragms on the fuel rail, checked everything, and its back to running like when I bought it. I don't know what difference those would have made. That's just what he said.

Thanks to everyone for the input.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Wonder why both were replaced (usually only one)... but good that you're back up and running so you can enjoy it!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldDude7 View Post
    Got it back from the dealer mechanic. He double checked everything I did. After diagnosis he replaced what he called the two diaphragms on the fuel rail, checked everything, and its back to running like when I bought it. I don't know what difference those would have made. That's just what he said.

Thanks to everyone for the input.
    If you don't mind telling us what this dealer service cost, did he rebuild or just replace both diaphragms on your fuel rail ?

10. Member
    He said he checked everything I had done which was described above, checked the system with a combo air/fuel pressure Guage, replaced those diaphragms, and tested it. I don't understand what difference those diaphragms would have made since it seemed to me to be starving for fuel. He said the optimax is a good motor but it pikes everything just right.

I also had him check the lower unit since I had run it so much and so long on the muffs with no load.

Everything was just under $700. If it keeps requiring this much maintenance I'm going to look at trading for something with a 4 stroke. This is going to not only stress me out, but keep me broke.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234