Another Vesselview Fuel Level Question (hopefully straight forward)

Good Morning All,

I'm working with a:
    2014 model year (produced in late 2013) Mercury 4S 150 (Serial Number - 2B070214)
    It is installed on a 2014 Ranger Reata

I have recently installed a Vesselview Link with 502 display (screen is a little small for you all you can do on it, but space concerns). I'm still slogging through the setups calibrations, etc. I have done my best to read as many posts as possible on the topics, and thank everyone for their inputs. My question is whether or not I already have the needed harness (please see attached photo)? I've read many posts on the topic, and the installation documents for the harness, but they are not terribly specific as to where exactly it connects, and I cannot find any other available ports.

Additional Information

I have traced the wires from the fuel tank sender (one black, and one pink), and they do not go to the motor, but rather the helm. I have removed all analog gauges from said helm, and do not plan to reinstall so I will ensure the "original pink wire" is completely removed so as not to damage the motor. It seems odd to me that mercury would have included the harness only to then not use it and run "traditional analog" wires to the helm, but perhaps this was a decision on the part of ranger.

Thank you in advance for what I hope is a quick look. I have done my best to provide the information required in the post attached at the top of the forum, but if I have missed something please let me know.

Take care,

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Eyehunter54915; 03-15-2021 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Spelling

2. Member
    The short answer is YES, you need the Merc fuel/paddle wheel harness that will come through the rigging tube and plug into that lower connector in your pic. It will replace whatever you have on your sender and a black wire to the neg of the engine's (cranking) battery. It will also have the paddle wheel (speed) and (outside)water temp. connector on it but it's not necessary to have them connected unless you want/need those comopnents. Depending upon how much crap is inside your rigging tube you may not have enough clearance to run that block connector through it. Plus, it's corrugated which makes anything not smooth "catch" inside. This was the case with mine. I had to "de-pin" the wires from the plastic block, SECURELY tape them up and even put 3 forward and bend 3 rearward to reduce the mass in one spot. Undo the rigging tube collar that surround the rubber grommet (you will see the grommet has spaces for different items/cables to run through that must be punctured for used). Run a fish tape through the rigging tube, connect it to the taped wire, liberally spray silicone lube along the wire sheathing and pull it through. One might say, Why don't you pull it through the other way??? The other end has the paddle wheel connector on it which is even bigger. Not a problem if you elect to cut it off because you will never use it. But the sender wires and the the paddle wheel wires aren't the same length so you would be doing 2 pulls. After you get it through re-pin the connector and button everything back up. Then connect the inside (boat) wires.

Orrr second option...

Let your dealer do it..
    Last edited by moymurfs; 03-15-2021 at 10:37 AM.
    MY Engine Serial Number : 2B411498

3. Member
    Thanks very much for the detailed response, which all makes sense to me. With respect to the "one question one post" rule, I'm curious/concerned about simply unplugging whatever is there currently, so.... any thoughts from the forum as to what might be there in the photo today?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyehunter54915 View Post
    Thanks very much for the detailed response, which all makes sense to me. With respect to the "one question one post" rule, I'm curious/concerned about simply unplugging whatever is there currently, so.... any thoughts from the forum as to what might be there in the photo today?

Huh?
    Both of those plugs in the pic aren't connected to anything..yet. those are simply blank holders merc uses to avoid the pigtails from dangling or getting damaged. Unplug one and you will see.
    MY Engine Serial Number : 2B411498

5. Member
    I must have misunderstood the comment above. Many thanks again, I will work to get the right harness.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Jim: You DO NOT have the Fuel Harness in your boat.

That harness, like every harness, switch, control, cable, propeller, etc... is an ACCESSORY and does not come with the engine in the box. Rigging components must be chosen based on the INSTALLATION.

Where did you get your Vessel View?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks for clarifying Don. I actually got it from a buddy that upgraded to a 903, for a pretty good deal (I think). I stopped by the Dealer last night and picked up the harness. The only question I have now is whether I need to use the supplied (optional ground wire), or if I can just run the ground coming off the tank sensor direct to the common ground I have set up (I put in a house battery bank, and an ACR from BlueSea Systems). Any thoughts, pros/cons?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would use ONLY (and exclusively) the Pink w/Black Stripe "Tank-1" wire. Connect it to the Terminal (or the pink wire) at the sending unit.

You should have a black GROUND wire there on the sender as well (which terminates at battery ground).

MOST IMPORTANT is not to mix grounds (there's a 5V ground in that harness that must not be intermixed with 12V Grounds).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Got it. The only wire I used from the harness is the pink/black wire attached exclusively to the pink lead off the sensor. The other sensor wire is tied back direct to the common ground. Thanks for the help!

Jim

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar