Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Poll -- Stimulus vs. Student Loans

Just a quick poll - I see some got their stimulus checks, but some of these people are the same ones complaining about student loan forgiveness so, just out of curiosity ---

Did you get a stimulus check? yes/no
    Did you keep your job 2020? yes/no
    Do you support student loan forgiveness? yes/no

My answer no : yes : yes

As far as student loans go, I believe there needs to be some relief for the current debt and a new plan going forward.

Future Student Loans:
    • 1. Low interest rate first 10 years after school...maybe 1% --> encourages quick payoff and more money goes to the principal amount. Once payed off, then likely money that was being allotted for student loans would be put towards the economy in some form or fashion.
    • 2. Full interest write-off on taxes
    • 3. Pre-tax dollars used to make payments --> similar to insurance plans, etc.

Here's to hoping this does not get locked.

Did not get a check yet.

Been retired since 2013.

How is paying off student loans fair to those people who decided that higher education was too expensive for them so they found other types of employment? Expecting those who did not pursue college to pay off the student loans of those who went to college would be the greatest transfer of wealth from the" have nots" to the "haves" in US history.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    hmmm.

no
    yes
    no

We sacrificed in order to help our children attend college. They also had jobs.

4. Member
    Folks knew the terms of the loans when they took them. They should remain obligated to honor their contract.

5. Member
    Yes
    NO
    NO
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

I'm with Jeff and Transom. Retired in 2010. Daughter graduated with $36k debt, got her Masters in Education, she's complaining about the debt, but it's hers to pay off. Maybe when we croak, she can use her inheritance. My biggest objection is the kids that will borrow to go to college to party, and don't graduate, OR select a major that's of no value in the job market. I've got zero patience for that chit. So....

1) Yes 2) ? 3) No.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

7. Member
    Yes
    Yes
    No

8. Member
    No
    Yes
    No

It should not be my responsibility to bail out someone that willingly accepted debt. This debt was a choice by that person, not by me or my family.

9. Member
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes, in a form

I have student loans and I’m not fully supportive of elimination of them. What I am supportive of is changing the interest rate to zero and applying any paid interest to the principal. That way you aren’t completely letting anyone off the hook but are making it easier for them to make headway on paying them. People who took out 30k in loans shouldn’t owe the government 60k.

10. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    yes
    yes
    yes

Personally I think college for needed professions or trade school should be free or forgiven after completion. The benefits to society more than pay for the costs of tuition. Tax revenue collected from college educated is higher than those who aren't. A society that is more educated is a more productive society and less likely to spend their lives living on the gov't.

What's the downside to having a society with more trained workers or more educated workers. The cost associated with trade school and college keeps many people from getting that education.

My wife who went to college and racked up over 100K of student debt, pays enough taxes that it would pay that back in a couple of years. So if the gov't paid for the education, it would get the money back in 2 years and for the next 30 years collect around 50K to 100Kin taxes per year. That's a great ROI for the gov't.

How much does trade school cost? The gov't could pay 50K for a couple years of trade school and collect 30K per year in taxes for 40 years. Numbers are approximate but you get the idea.

Or we can continue what we are doing where we have over a trillion dollars of debt burden on our society, fewer working professionals, fewer tradesman and more people living on gov't welfare.

How often do we complain about the current work force?

Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    yes
    yes
    yes

Or we can continue what we are doing where we have over a trillion dollars of debt burden on our society, fewer working professionals, fewer tradesman and more people living on gov't welfare.

How often do we complain about the current work force?
    How many professional workers do we import every year via the H1B visa program? Ending that program would be my first priority before embark on some sort of free college deal. No sense cranking out students with McDegrees when they will still end up in the unemployment line because their degrees won't be worth squat. The days where a 4 year degree would guarantee someone a good job are long gone.

12. Member
    No
    No
    No
    I believe people shouldn't be forced to pay for other's bad decisions. People should be responsible for themselves. And people should invest in themselves.

Some of those complaining about student loans, are those complaining about minimum wage should be $15.00, and landlords are evil money mongers.

Maybe we need a conversation about buying votes.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day

Teach a man to fish, he will complain that you stole his fishing spot.

I couldn’t afford college.

I went into the Navy for a full hitch.

The military benefits paid for my college.

Maybe we should have a recruiting office, attached to the loan office, on college campuses.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day

Teach a man to fish, he will complain that you stole his fishing spot.

15. Member
    yes
    yes
    no

16. Member
    If you are going to give free college now, does that mean you will go back and make reparations to those who paid their way and those who paid off their loans?

17. Member
    No
    yes
    no

where does it stop?
    will home loans be next?
    car loans ?
    free elective surgery?
    No bail? Oops my bad

people should be held responsible for their decisions.

18. Member
    Yes yes no.
    If they forgive student loans, I'm going to need the same amount they get since I worked and paid mine off.

I do agree there has to be a better way. Tuition needs to be lower and classes that don't really help you need to be eliminated

19. Banned
    Yes
    Yes
    No

If you CHOOSE a higher education than YOU need to pay for it. Paid off my student loans quickly working on paying hers off but, she keeps adding to the amount.

20. Member
    Got the stimulus check despite being retired and already receiving a pension check monthly, no to forgiving student loan debt as that was a decision/investment someone else made for themselves, they should be held responsible for their decisions. Seems similar to asking others to pay for their mortgages instead of being held responsible for their decision to purchase a home loan, at what point do we teach others about responsibility? Why do we continue to reward irresponsibility/poor decisions and penalize those who are responsible and fulfill their obligations?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast