Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I’ll add that if college students really attempt to they can most likely get some scholarship money, it’s not that hard if you have decent grades. I have one kid in college and one in high school. My son has been able to get a little money the last two semesters by just spending a little time searching and applying.

2. Member
    Yes
    Yes
    No

Secondary education is some ones choice, not a requirement. I didn't expect free school because I needed it to have the job I wanted.
    Fish have fins, they swim

3. Member
    no
    yes
    no

want to reduce cost of college? cut all university salaries by half

4. Banned
    Yes
    Yes
    No

5. Member
    No,yes,absolutely not. Students took out those loans knowing it was a debt they would have to pay. No different than having to pay your mortgage.

1. No
    2. Retired on my own dime
    3. NOT NO BUT HELL NO

7. Member
    NO
    N/A Retired
    NO

You don’t get what you deserve, you get what you earn!

not yet
    retired
    No

9. Member
    Yes
    Yes
    No
    BulletTJ
    Tim
    There is never a wrong time
    to do the right thing!

10. Member
    Yes, yes, and yes to an extent.

I don’t agree that people who chose to attend a 50k/yr tuition private school should have all loans forgiven. It’s their choice, reap what you sow. Plenty of public schools that offer the same degree at a far less expense. I graduated with 1/5th the student loan debt as my brother and we both have bachelor degrees. But I also think that the tuition rates are out of control and if the student loan forgiveness could offset that somehow it would benefit a lot of Americans.

I also realize BBC is extremely affluent and that skews a lot of the thoughts. Just look at all of the “stimulated the economy” posts beating their chests for buying a 50k truck or boat with cash to brag. The majority of BBC doesn’t represent the typical income of Americans, rather the top 5%-10% income earners in the country. I would benefit from the loan forgiveness, heck our household income is what some BBC members pay in cash but I also don’t expect anyone to pay for my choices.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Yes.
    Yes.
    !@#$^%^& NO!

I've got a daughter that's going to start college in 2 years. Plans are in place to ensure that her first 4 years are paid for (after that it's on her). Those plans call for and have required a substantial sacrifice. No reason at all it should be free as it is a choice. What needs retooled is the higher education program in total to include student loans. I don't think there's anything out there that has risen in cost in the last 20-30 years more than college tuition and it is totally the result of how easy it is to get student loans. Our parents and grandparents were able to put themselves through college working small jobs while attending school. There's no way this could happen today due to the excessive tuition costs.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

Yes
    Yes
    No

I'm not completely against helping people pay for college or technical school. The problem with it is people abused their student loans and now want them to be paid off for them. My parents and I paid for my college. I will say I was extremely lucky in that regard, my parents saved money my entire life to help pay for my college. But, I also was very cheap with school. I went to an in state school, lived in very cheap apartments and did not go out and blow money at the bar every night. Many of my friends that have student loans, went to out of state or private colleges, studied abroad, and used their student loans to live on including paying off credit card bills from going to the bar every night. Paying rent that was twice what mine was, etc. Too many people saw that college loans as free money and are now bitching about having to pay it off. Too many people used that money to get degrees in things that they will never be able to get jobs in, etc. I will say, I do believe there needs to be more regulation in the industry including the actual cost of college and the amount of money that is allowed to be loaned etc. But I also believe that if we start giving people free money, things will just implode as well.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
    no
    yes
    no

want to reduce cost of college? cut all university salaries by half

That should work out well.

14. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    If college loans are to be forgiven, then in all fairness I'd like the loan on my Corvette forgiven.

15. Member
    If you need to pay for college without a large debt I think there's something called the G.I. Bill that will help a great deal. Seems to be a small caveat, you have to defend your country.

Easy peasy.

16. Member
    The other question is Why is college so damn expensive? It is no different than any other bloated bureaucratic institution.
    Tuition's have sky rocketed since the Feds took over the student loan program. Follow the money.
    Sheep have two speeds, graze and stampede

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    If you need to pay for college without a large debt I think there's something called the G.I. Bill that will help a great deal. Seems to be a small caveat, you have to defend your country.

Easy peasy.
    The ONLY reason there is a nice fat GI Bill is because the military struggles to meet recruiting goals. My generation had VEAP. You put in 1200 at 100 a month your first year and when you were done Uncle Sam matched it 2-1 for a total of 3600.00. Millions of us joined under those circumstances.

Between childhood obesity and the prolific use of drugging young children for things like ADHD the pool of military eligible is shocking low. Saying just join the military isn’t reality today.

18. Member
    yes
    no
    hell no
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

19. Member
    Well, we (me and my 3 kids) are in this boat (this a fishing forum, ha). My wife and I have several conversations about their student loans, one is visiting from Denver now and we talked about it last night! All 3 went to college, one didn’t finish but has debt. I wish they didn’t but it was our choice and those loans should not be forgiven even though college cost is way out of hand these days. Everybody wants to bailed out of something these days, life has never worked that way. Yes, retired, no.

20. Banned
    Yes
    Yes
    NO!!!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast