Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    yes, yes, no The community college I went to opted out of the student loan program because the students were borrowing the money and using it to purchase t.v.'s, video games, and vehicles. Most dropped out after receiving the pell grants and loans and none were paying it back so the school just opted out. Here's a good question, of those with student loans that think they shouldn't be responsible for a decision they made, how many will use their stimulus payment to apply toward the balance on their student loan?

No
    Yes
    No

I paid my student loans back after school, and so did everyone else I knew that had them. It's a debt, you owe the money.

3. Member
    I'm not sure why the OP thinks that receiving a stimulus check makes a person in favor of govt helicopter money. I think it is beyond stupid to give stimulus money to people who kept their jobs through the pandemic, and that goes for both administrations.
    John

Yes (partial stimulus for the first 2), No to the 3rd
    Yes
    No

If you sign for a loan whether it is for tuition, mortgage, car, etc, you pay back the money.

I've been working the whole time during the pandemic, I don't need the stimulus money.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

5. Banned
    yes
    yes
    no

6. Member
    Yes, yes, no. I made a personal decision when I was in college that my chosen career wasn't going to pay off any loans that I might have to get. I chose to go to the work force and build a career there. You took a loan, you pay it back. However, I would say if you want to help than reduce the interest on gov held loans but no free rides

No
    Yes
    No

8. Member
    NO
    YES
    ABSOULTLY NO

9. Member
    NO
    YES
    NO

Accountability is something society today seems to try and avoid. Paying of someone else's poor decisions is a bad idea...
    Brad
    '16 Ranger 521c
    250 Merc Pros XS

10. Banned
    No, yes, in some form..not just a magic eraser for all. Words of wisdom....life isn't always fair and equitable.

11. Member
    Yes, yes, no.
    If they want forgiveness they can file bankruptcy like everyone else would have to. It was a choice to take on that debt set up by a system that teaches that you need college to have a good career. No doubt, there is value in more education if its doing something that is of value. Anyhow, the real problem is the cost of college, relief for the debt only puts a bandaid on an infected cut. Theres still a problem under the bandaid but it makes you feel like your doing something. It seems like we would be helping kids get thru college and move on but all it would really be is an open checkbook for colleges to drain the account. That doesnt even take into account the crap curriculum or whatever you want to call it that doesnt get you much besides a degree in something that will never be useful, unless maybe you want to learn to wave a red flag and wear mask

No
    Yrs
    No, unless everyone that has paid for their college gets reimbursed. We are raising a bunch of entitled, I don’t have to work for anything, everyone owes me generation.

13. Member
    I have seen how some of the student loan money have been spent. No forgiveness.
    Or maybe let them be able to list it under a bankruptcy. Then they can decide between bad credit or paying loan back. There should be some repercussions ( for the student and the schools). Lets not forget who is making all the money off of this deal.

I do agree the student loan program needs an overhaul. The whole thing was crazy from the start.
    Semper Fi

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    yes
    yes
    yes

Personally I think college for needed professions or trade school should be free or forgiven after completion. The benefits to society more than pay for the costs of tuition. Tax revenue collected from college educated is higher than those who aren't. A society that is more educated is a more productive society and less likely to spend their lives living on the gov't.

What's the downside to having a society with more trained workers or more educated workers. The cost associated with trade school and college keeps many people from getting that education.

My wife who went to college and racked up over 100K of student debt, pays enough taxes that it would pay that back in a couple of years. So if the gov't paid for the education, it would get the money back in 2 years and for the next 30 years collect around 50K to 100Kin taxes per year. That's a great ROI for the gov't.

How much does trade school cost? The gov't could pay 50K for a couple years of trade school and collect 30K per year in taxes for 40 years. Numbers are approximate but you get the idea.

Or we can continue what we are doing where we have over a trillion dollars of debt burden on our society, fewer working professionals, fewer tradesman and more people living on gov't welfare.

How often do we complain about the current work force?

You actually think that people on welfare dont work because they didnt get a free education You should go back to the school of reality. Most of the people who are on the system choose to be on the system. You could give them a ride to work and they would still be late.

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Yes, yes, no.
    If they want forgiveness they can file bankruptcy like everyone else would have to. It was a choice to take on that debt set up by a system that teaches that you need college to have a good career. No doubt, there is value in more education if its doing something that is of value. Anyhow, the real problem is the cost of college, relief for the debt only puts a bandaid on an infected cut. Theres still a problem under the bandaid but it makes you feel like your doing something. It seems like we would be helping kids get thru college and move on but all it would really be is an open checkbook for colleges to drain the account. That doesnt even take into account the crap curriculum or whatever you want to call it that doesnt get you much besides a degree in something that will never be useful, unless maybe you want to learn to wave a red flag and wear mask
    Yeah it just shifts the cost to the $28 trillion dollar in debt govt. credit card.

16. Member
    No
    Yes
    No - you borrowed the money, you should pay it back
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

17. Member
    Yes NO NO

18. Member
    Don't support the stimmy plan being payed for with borrowed money.
    Don't support paying off someone's college loans (would be ok with low interest, but not paying the loan for them).

19. Member
    #1 yes, but don't feel I should have
    #2 No, Retired
    #3 No, College is a choice! Cancer is not, how about forgive those bills!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toypuller View Post
    I couldn’t afford college.

I went into the Navy for a full hitch.

The military benefits paid for my college.

Maybe we should have a recruiting office, attached to the loan office, on college campuses.
    Thank You for your service !! Great Ideal !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast