Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    If this isn't a troll by Nat's Dad then I suggest someone stay away from the keyboard after consuming adult beverages.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

2. Banned
    I prefer wicker and Duke's mayonnaise.

3. Member
    I guess i will put the boat and truck up for sale

4. Banned
    Lots of people say things when hiding behind a keyboard or their wife's skirt. It is the way things are done these days.

5. Member
    Would contacting WRAL or WTVD about this mystery spraying do any good?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderman View Post
    Would contacting WRAL or WTVD about this mystery spraying do any good?
    i’m doubtful in that personally. I’ve received 3 phone calls back from biologists since i’ve contacted them. They’ve stated that with the other species outside of the shad, that they were probably gonna take water samples for any toxicity or whatever they might find. Idk we will see tho! I’m sure with the more people who contact them the more they will look into it.

7. Member
    I gave up tournament fishing back in the late 80's Last trail we fished we got a 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 11th. This was Kerr, Gaston, etc. and I hated every minute of it. Too much like work. Too much driving after being bone tired, hungry and wind burned. Why do I want to pay to fish a spot I don't want to be at I time I don't want to fish it with a zillion other guys? More power to ya' but it got old fast even doing well. I did it in HS too and that was not bad as I earned enough to pay for a couple years of college, but I saw it as my summer job. Fishing has gotten too expensive, too crowded and too lame on the popular spots to find any joy in it for me. I think a lot of guys would feel the same had they fished Anna, the Potomac, Falls and Jordan back in the day compared to now. Sh was fun before the Raleigh clowns ruined it. I've been thinking about a modest new boat and might bass fish Jordan some in Feb & March but mostly it would be night fishing , hunting and multi species for me now. I just got to settle in my mind iffin' it's really going to be FUN or is it going to be like the old days after the new boat smell wears off. It would be nice to see a pic or two once in a blue moon on here and not poundage stats.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBoatNewTricks View Post
    i’m doubtful in that personally. I’ve received 3 phone calls back from biologists since i’ve contacted them. They’ve stated that with the other species outside of the shad, that they were probably gonna take water samples for any toxicity or whatever they might find. Idk we will see tho! I’m sure with the more people who contact them the more they will look into it.
    10-4...been fishn there 30 yrs & its sickening..idk if Wes Seagers is still on the NCWLRC or not ill try to find out sumn..

9. Member
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

10. Member
    Id been asking why is there crappie & Catfish also dead. They will never admit to spraying herbicides. Never. They have dealt with lies the past 5 years up in lake Chickamagwa on the Tennessee River chain. Bud Strader ( son is MLF Pro Wesley Strader ) has been fighting them for that long and we got video of it all being done wrong and yet, still nothing. Anyone has questions I’d say contact Bud Strader on FB. He is for us all.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bruhn View Post
    Id been asking why is there crappie & Catfish also dead. They will never admit to spraying herbicides. Never. They have dealt with lies the past 5 years up in lake Chickamagwa on the Tennessee River chain. Bud Strader ( son is MLF Pro Wesley Strader ) has been fighting them for that long and we got video of it all being done wrong and yet, still nothing. Anyone has questions I’d say contact Bud Strader on FB. He is for us all.
    yeah there’s never a whole truth that comes out. The most common story is that, shearon harris specifically, the water level was dropped to a lower than usual level i believe 4 or 5 summers ago, which was the main cause of the grass kill. But i know that I was definitely throwing frogs and heavy weights around living mats and grass beds at the end of summer 3 years ago. Moved off shore for the fall transition and winter time. Grass never came back the next year. Just vanished. And i don’t remember the water level being dropped to any significance in that time frame. Unless i’m mistaken, and i could be. But if i’m correct, then there’s no way what grass was left at that time, vanished just from carp and no spraying.. I just can’t buy it

12. Member
    Those grass carp won't let that grass come back either. Surprised there any reeds left. I fished Lake Austin regularly (in TX, they overstocked grass carp to appease homeowners), before I moved to NC, and once the GC ate all the hydrilla and milfoil they went for the reeds and cattails. It was funny to see a reed swimming away like a snorkel. But the fishing plummeted and it turned into a mud hole of a river lake.
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

13. Banned
    We all get tired of a lot of things in life. Having to work with clowns that could not carry their weight if their life depended on. Watching all the crap going on nowadays makes you want to puke. I hunted and was as hard core as anybody but it got to where it was absolutely no challenge at all. Fishing seems to challenge me every single trip and offers time to get away with no stress whatsoever.

14. Member
    As long as u are having fun, that is what matters.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwmgg17 View Post
    We all get tired of a lot of things in life. Having to work with clowns that could not carry their weight if their life depended on. Watching all the crap going on nowadays makes you want to puke. I hunted and was as hard core as anybody but it got to where it was absolutely no challenge at all. Fishing seems to challenge me every single trip and offers time to get away with no stress whatsoever.
    absolutely, i still hunt pretty hard... But i’m heading in the same direction i believe!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw62 View Post
    As long as u are having fun, that is what matters.
    AGREED! you are 10000% correct sir! If we could just hit them in the head up close and personal again would make it even that much more fun! lol

The Shad die off is not just happening in your area, it's also going on here on Smith Mountain Lake. The past several years have been mild, with little to no die off, and the population has exploded. So this is just Mother Nature's way of correcting things, and getting things back to where they belong. With the huge amount of Shad dying and flipping around on the surface, there must not be a Seagull left at the beach, they're all here at the lake.

18. Member
    I personally saw the spraying 2 years ago by helicopter. the ncdnr did not spray so their statement is true. But what they don't say is that Harris is private property and Duke controls everything that happens there including aerial spraying and clear cutting without ant regard to buffer requirements. I was told this 1st hand by a person involved in this horrible loss of habitat/ restoration. If this was Alabama and they did that to lake Guntersville heads would roll. It's all apart of Duke wanting to develop Harris. I'd like to known what percentage of the original shoreline is now chocked w/ reeds. Some small shallow pockets have 50' of them off the bank. Going to be hard to put docks there. Won't need a water feature w/ coy fish on your property just go to your dock and watch the Bubble Gum Lips snorkling the reeds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldBoatNewTricks View Post
    Agree with you that the grass kill and spraying was for the benefit of the rec boaters. And the attempts they’re making to bring back native grasses is a very half hearted attempt if you ask me. I think it’s just to keep everyone off their backs.
    So, why do you guys this this was done to make pleasure boater happy? Who did they complain to and why do their complaints carry more weight than that of fishermen? We’re not paying fees to enter the lake so its not as if the loss of one group of boaters hurts someone’s wallet. Also, the majority of the lake never had any grass and it only came up to the surface in the shallower areas that, based on what I saw, is not where pleasure boaters seemed to want to be anyway. While there are places in the US where spraying is done to keep the lake open for boat traffic, that always seems to be in places with a larger portion of the lake being shallow enough for the hydrilla to come to the surface and matt up. Or, in places with dock owners that can’t access their dock. If you’ve been to FL you’ve seen what I am talking about. Hundreds and hundreds of yards of matted vegetation in every direction.

I have heard from some people that work, or worked, at the plant that their has been a desire in their management for years to remove the hydrilla out of concern it might get into the plant’s water intakes. That has been the case for years. It has never happened but someone thought it would and wanted it gone.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

20. Member
    Having participated in quite a few small impoundment aquatic weed control projects, I know the cost and it is very, very expensive. Scale one of these projects up to the size of Harris with its 360 miles of shoreline and you will quickly realize there is not enough money anywhere to purchase and apply aquatic herbicde at this scale. Spot treatments though can and do occur in a lot of places. If your lake suddenly looses all of its submerged vegetation, I would look for environmental causes first.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast