Thread: 225 repower??

225 repower??

With all the prop issues with the 200SS and 4 cylinder, has anyone repowered with a 225 6 cylinder? I have a Champion 201 it's a more narrow 20 ft boat and I think the 225 would be a perfect option for me. I was originally wanting the 200 SS but I haven't heard much luck with getting it propped properly for a bass boat. My 93 XRI is still going, but I'm sure it's days are getting shorter!

2. Member
    Unfortunately, Suzuki doesn't offer a 225 in a 20" shaft. You are stuck either with a 200SS or a 250SS
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member
    Guess I didn’t catch that in my research!! Thanks for pointing that out, I think they should make their 200ss in a V6 and that would solve the problem. That makes sense as the saltwater guys like the 4 cyl because it’s less weight than the 225

What prop issues? The 200 SS would be fine on that boat. Was just looking at a gentleman with a new 150 SS, same gearcase, gain 400 RPM just by raising the engine 1.5" inches. The new gearcase just needs to be setup differently, ie higher.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wave to Wave View Post
    What prop issues? The 200 SS would be fine on that boat. Was just looking at a gentleman with a new 150 SS, same gearcase, gain 400 RPM just by raising the engine 1.5" inches. The new gearcase just needs to be setup differently, ie higher.
    I've been reading about the torque curve and propping on the 200 SS and guys having trouble getting top end out of that particular motor, which has me second guessing. I'm still researching and I'm not ready yet to repower, but I'm really wanting a Suzuki 4 stroke. My XRI only gets low 60's and truthfully if I could get 60 out of it I'd be happy. I currently do not have a jack plate as my boat came from the factory without one. I'm having a new transom put in it as we speak so maybe next year a new motor and a jack plate.

6. Member
    Hey duck, not sure what year 201 you got, but dealers usually threw a jackplate on those. Wayyyy back guys had 150 and 200s on the 201 and had no no problem. I think a jackplate and 200ss would be a good fit. You won't be in the go fast crowd but you'll make it back everytime. If it was me, I'd look for a 4 or 5 blade prop.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    Hey duck, not sure what year 201 you got, but dealers usually threw a jackplate on those. Wayyyy back guys had 150 and 200s on the 201 and had no no problem. I think a jackplate and 200ss would be a good fit. You won't be in the go fast crowd but you'll make it back everytime. If it was me, I'd look for a 4 or 5 blade prop.
    I’ve decided I’m putting a jack plate on when I repower, especially with a new transom. I’ve even already talked to the guy at Hydro Dynamics about my boat and jack plates for the 201. The only reason I haven’t done it before now was my questionable transom. It’s a 1993
    Last edited by 39DUCK; 03-18-2021 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Left something out