Trolling batteries...

Guys, I just bought a new XRS and I'm putting a 36 volt Ultrex on it. The dealer is going to put 3-group 31 AMG batteries in for it. What battery set ups are ya'll running for 36 volt trolling motors? I won't do lithium due to the fire hazard and the boat being stored in the house garage. Has anyone tried running 3 Optima D34M with the newer 36 motors? I ran this set up on my Blazer 625 and it worked great and I never ran out of juice.

I thought the fire hazards were from improper chargers being used....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I'm not sure. I've heard different things and no real concrete answers.

I think the batts cause fires too... But most like to blame the chargers instead... I'm not comfortable going to LI-ION yet..

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    There is more fires with cell phones charging , I would worry more about that lead acid or agm is old technology step into the 21st century my ionics where a fantastic upgrade I will never use anything but lithium.
    Last edited by av; 03-16-2021 at 09:21 PM.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

delete
    Last edited by crank68; 03-16-2021 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Uneducated
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Member
    I'm running one 36v lithium ion (Ionic), I really like it. I store my boat in my home garage too, but never have been too worried about a fire, but maybe I should be.

8. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    What kind of performance gains are ya'll seeing when going with Lithiums?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    What kind of performance gains are ya'll seeing when going with Lithiums?
    As far as boat performance, hole shot improved ALOT, boat floats 3 inches higher in the rear, seems to ride better in rough water, no change in mid-range and top end. As far as troller performance, the lithium seems to have more consistent power throughout the day, never changes at all. I really like the phone app too, you can look and see what your amp hours are and how much battery life is left, and even how long it will take to fully charge. The longest it's ever taken to charge is 1.5 hours, and the battery was at 49%.

I fished a tournament this past weekend in really rough water, fished wind all day, 9.5 hours and used 35% of the battery. Fished a bunch last year in big winds, 9-10 hours, and the most I ever used was 51%. At my age, I will wear out long before this battery...lol

10. Member
    I second the hole shot improvement, my hole shot is the best of any boat I ever had to start with, unfortunately I swapped the batteries when I first got the boat so not sure if any top end gains . As Sowen says the app is nice to monitor the charge and they charge real fast.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO