1st time out with my Ultra126sv

Finally open water and couldn't wait to test out my new FF

What I like so far, easy to use i like the mapping and the traditional (2D) worked great

The down and side imaging were not what I expected, this could be me missing something although i did play wit a lot of settings

Lets talk down view. Its really hard to see any suspended fish in the water column with the water column display on the FF being black , It does show the bottom contour well but to hard to see any fish

My question is does the down and side imagining show fish in colors so you can see them like the 2D does, right now if there is a fish on the bottom it shows the same color as the color pallet I've choosing

2. Member
    Blue palette is best for seeing suspended fish. Bigger fish show up red and smaller ones show up yellow. Bait balls can show up red or yellow depending on how many and how tightly bunched they are.

As far clear and side vu go the returns are pretty much palette color but brighter again depending on size of fish or school of fish/bait.

3. Member
    Thanks for the clarification, I thought I was doing something wrong

4. Member
    Here are a couple of clips for you. The first one (blue palette) are small suspended spotted bass. You can also watch them come up off the bottom to see what’s going on.

5. Member
    This second clip is the amber palette looking towards the shore. And like you noticed it shows bottom definition very well. But it shows fish very well. You really have to experiment a lot cause each spot you go to will require different settings.

6. Member
    The clips are showing Livescope and the original question is about seeing fish with down and side imaging. Please clarify.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JWP View Post
    The clips are showing Livescope and the original question is about seeing fish with down and side imaging. Please clarify.
    I think the question was clear. History shows his Di/Si are working just like one would expect garmins product to work. Every time they release a new transducer a buddy of mine buys it hoping his 8612 is better. I will say the 54 at least got them in the ballpark of the 900 series HB products and the HDS made 10 years ago. He has the 56 transducer coming and is excited to see it work. I'm afraid he will be disappointed again.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    I think the question was clear. History shows his Di/Si are working just like one would expect garmins product to work. Every time they release a new transducer a buddy of mine buys it hoping his 8612 is better. I will say the 54 at least got them in the ballpark of the 900 series HB products and the HDS made 10 years ago. He has the 56 transducer coming and is excited to see it work. I'm afraid he will be disappointed again.
    The question was clear [My question is does the down and side imagining show fish in colors so you can see them like the 2D does?] but showing livescope clips doesn't answer the question. You seem to be looking for an opportunity to bash Garmin.

9. Member
    The question is clear but the answer is .....sort of. 2d palettes have much more diversity in color. Side and down imaging has generally be a monochromatic type view. People differ in their preferences and what they think shows what (structure or fish) best. Quite a few like Amber best for structure. I like Lava and Midnite Blue for fish. Here is what it looks like on a GPSMAP 1243xsv. I expect what you are seeing is similar. That's normal.

Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 03-14-2021 at 11:24 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    The question is clear but the answer is .....sort of. 2d palettes have much more diversity in color. Side and down imaging has generally be a monochromatic type view. People differ in their preferences and what they think shows what (structure or fish) best. Quite a few like Amber best for structure. I like Lava and Midnite Blue for fish. Here is what it looks like on a GPSMAP 1243xsv. I expect what you are seeing is similar. That's normal.

Nice clip . And thanks for posting it. All my fish are still buried on the bottom and scattered so it’s been hard to find them and the bait to get any good images.

11. Member
    Looking at switching from Lowrance HDS to Garmin.
    Are the EchoMap series 2D and ClearView comparable to the HDS units?
    The earlier reply has me concerned.

12. Member
    You'll find a variey of opinions. Different units with different resolutions may show images differenty. There are also differences in transducers. The latest software is better than older software. I'd suggest doing your own research. The link below is for SideVu. I think they will give you some idea what level of detail you can expect using a GT56 on a unit wilth good resolution.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1090599
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.