Mercmonitor Level 1 to a level 3?????

I purchased a Mercmonitor level 1 kit off eBay. The box says level 1, and has a level 1 part number.... I turn the key and it says “Level 3. Version 9.0 with smart tow.” Now.... I want Smart tow and all the features that come with the level 3, but I only paid $600 for it, and a level 3 is anywhere from $900 to $1,000. Can someone fill me in as to what might cause this level 1 to level 3 update? Will it go away after I run my boat for awhile? Or did someone screw something up and I got a deal? The motor is a 2020 Mercury 115 pro Xs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Cause: eBay Purchase (mismatched components in the box).

This is one of the reasons that we don’t recommend (or support) “bay” purchases.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 46 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    The company is Extreme Custom Marine out of California. Their website says they’re an authorized mercury dealer.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That appears to be correct, but still purchased through Ebay at well below MAPP guidelines.

The good news is that you got a heck of a bargain, and to answer your question, if it's a Level-3 today, it will remain a Level-3. Suspect someone mixed up the gauge-head in the box. What does the tag on the back of the gauge-head say?

BTW... Smart-Tow is not available on your engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 46 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I think there was something going on in March 2021. I repowered my boat with a new 2021 Mercury 175 PROXS at my dealer. I had them install a level 1 MercMonitor. That is what they ordered and put in, but sure enough it clearly says it is a Level 3 as well. I think someone in the manufacturing/programming process screwed up....

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There were a number of them that went out with Level-3 programming. If you got one of them, just smile and enjoy.

7. Member