12” jackplate on a 201. Is it worth it?

Looking at putting a 12” slide master on my 01-201. Currently have the original 8” and wanted to know if anyone has the 12”. How does it handle? Better holeshot/top end?
    thanks

2. Member
    How about opinions then! Everyone had one of those.

3. Member
    I went through the same thing...I have A 6”. A few posts for and a few against. I would go 12 if I did it. Not sure if you have to replace steering cables, throttle cables... etc. if I have to do all that... I would say no

4. Member
    Thanks for the input and agree.

5. Member
    Just ran my 201d w/ 225 Merc EFI for the first time with the 12" on it yesterday. Wind was too much to really stretch the boat out but it definitely seemed to lift the nose much better than the 8" I pulled off of it. Kept the same prop on it so the only difference was the plate and prop height. I kept the motor low at 3" since the WP gauge needs to be replaced but saw 67 mph very briefly before running out of real estate in the semi-protected area. Can't really say one way or the other on the handling due to the wind yesterday. The holeshot honestly seemed a tad slower. The 8" plate had a cover over the bottom to keep the plate from scooping water and the holeshot was almost non-existent with that plate. Hit the throttle and it was on plane. With the 12", I'd say holeshot is around 3 seconds but still very quick. Yesterday was with full gas, half livewells due to leaking Flowrite valves, full tackle, and myself.

I'm not sure how much more difference the 12" is compared to a 10" but I definitely think it's an upgrade over the factory 8" plate. However, check your transom carefully before stepping up to the bigger plate and reseal everything if it's been a bit.

I went form a 6" to a 10" on mine years ago. I think it helped a lot with bow lift.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Longtail1 View Post
    Looking at putting a 12” slide master on my 01-201. Currently have the original 8” and wanted to know if anyone has the 12”. How does it handle? Better holeshot/top end?
    thanks
    Longtail
    What motor are you running on your '01 201?
    What are your current numbers and P2P?
    What prop are you running?

8. Member
    dixieman,
    You need to run a holeshot plate under your JP especially a 12", since you are scooping up alot of water when trying to get on plane.
    What yr is your rig and motor?
    What prop are you running? and BTW 3" is not that low for your P2P, since it is recommended to start at 3.5" and work up from there 1/4" at the time.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    dixieman,
    You need to run a holeshot plate under your JP especially a 12", since you are scooping up alot of water when trying to get on plane.
    What yr is your rig and motor?
    What prop are you running? and BTW 3" is not that low for your P2P, since it is recommended to start at 3.5" and work up from there 1/4" at the time.
    2001 201d w/ 225 EFI.
    Currently running a 25" Tempest Plus. 68 mph @ ~5700 rpms. That was a pretty quick run though due to the conditions. Curious what it will actually do with better conditions.
    Going to start playing with different props. I based my decision to start at 3" from Psychologist's work after going to a 12" plate on his 201. My understanding is that the farther back you go from the transom, the higher P2P. I will probably bump it back down to 3.5" and start working my way back up once I start dialing it in some more. From looking around on here, it seems like most of the boats running the bigger jackplates are in the 2.5" range, hence me saying 3" was low.

10. Member
    dixie,
    After much digging around and asking alot of questions, I decided to go with a 10" Slidemaster with holeshot plate under it. The only people that I know running a 12" were running 250HP motors, since the farther back you go the fulcrum point from the transom is increased, hence the additional power benefit in less disturbed water stream.
    My setup is '02 201 DC, '03 Merc 225 EFI hanging off a 10" JP set at 2 7/8" P2P swinging a 25" Trophy Plus worked by Croxton for my setup running about what you are, and 26" Tempest plus worked by Croxton running low 70. Now, I have been told that the '03 225 EFI are different intake than your, which could make some difference.

I don't know if your prop has been B&B, but it is well worth it especially from Croxton, and get a holeshot plate.

11. Member
    Running a 01 225 EFI with a worked trophy plus 26P by Mark. P2P is 3 or 2 3/4” tops out at 71 with a good holeshot. Only reason I’m considering is local marina is selling 12” manuals for $100 because owners switching to hydraulic.
    Last edited by Longtail1; 03-24-2021 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Spelling

12. Member
    Running a 01 225 EFI with a worked trophy plus 26P by Mark. P2P is 3 or 2 3/4” tops out at 71 with a good holeshot. Only reason I’m considering is local marina is selling 12” manuals for $100 because owners switching to hydraulic.
    With all do respect, I have told my wife that a cheap deal may not be a good for you buy in the end. You have a very tempting situation, but I would not use a 12" with the very least having a holeshot plate under it. All I can tell you is what I have and what works for me, and yes though she may be a pain in my seat at time, I was the one that married her, so for good and for bad.

I like to spin my motor at 57-5800 making the best power, and if you are moving it another 4" back, you have a fulcrum point change and much denser water stream coming out away from your hull.
    BTW, all my number a from my calibrated gages and GPS, so hopefully they will give your some marks to go as you move forward.

I can tell you for sure that a 26" Trophy Plus will not work, since I have mine for sale cause it turn 55-5600 at best with ring and large hole PVS plus B&B and worked by Croxton.
    Last edited by digthemup; 03-26-2021 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling

13. Member
    Digthemup. I really appreciate your perspective on the fulcrum point and most likely reducing my RPM’s. I didn’t even give that a thought. It is a tempting buy, but like you said, it will probably cost me more in changing pitch. I’ve had this girl for 20 years. The wife on the other hand just 17 . Haven’t changed anything on ether, so why start now. If anyone is interested in new 12” slidemasters let me know they have four.

14. Member
    Digthemup. I really appreciate your perspective on the fulcrum point and most likely reducing my RPM’s. I didn’t even give that a thought. It is a tempting buy, but like you said, it will probably cost me more in changing pitch. I’ve had this girl for 20 years. The wife on the other hand just 17 . Haven’t changed anything on ether, so why start now. If anyone is interested in new 12” slidemasters let me know they have four.
    Longtail,
    If I was you, I would buy the entire lot and sell them on your own. I am sure you would make money on new 12" Slidemaster bought for 100.00
    BTW, If you decide to keep the 8" let me know, I may have a holeshot plate for it in 1 of my shop lofts

15. Member
    Thanks Dig. Sorry for the delay but lost a cylinder #6 and have been scrambling ever since. I do have the plate already. Now I’m waiting a few more weeks to get in for a new powerhead. First time for me. After 20 years of no issues she decided to fall apart.

16. Member
    Thanks Dig. Sorry for the delay but lost a cylinder #6 and have been scrambling ever since. I do have the plate already. Now I’m waiting a few more weeks to get in for a new powerhead. First time for me. After 20 years of no issues she decided to fall apart.
    Longtail
    sorry to hear that # 6 cyl crapped out on you, but I am sure that you will be able to get her put together soon. Did they tell you what went wrong? or is it just hours of use?
    The blessing to the matter is that you will be starting with a fresh motor giving you many more yrs of service, and hopefully all trouble free. I like the simplicity of our motor, yet the improvements over carbed motors. Take your time breaking her in correctly.