Teleflex Steering Adjustment Question

I have a 1995 Nitro with Teleflex steering 3895417. The steering wheel doesn’t line up straight and I need to adjust it. I’ve looked online but no joy.
    Because there is a keyway in the shaft, the wheel only goes on one way.
    I tried to adjust at the stern by moving the nuts but that didn’t work.
    Who can I contact that will know how to do this?
    Thanks.

2. Member
    its all about engagment of cables to helm under dash
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    I had one like that 14, 15yrs ago, is it Teleflex R&P NFB cable steer and a 3 spoke wheel? If yes, there's nothing you can do, either ignore wheel position (what I did) or swap to a different wheel with no center reference (5 spoke for example).
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1 to Joe's assessment.

If you first adjust the aft end to relieve any "pre-load" on the cables, you can often unbolt the racks from the helm (or loosen enough to disengage from helm gear) with the engine STRAIGHT.

Carefully rotate helm (wheel) until as close to straight as possible, then bolt the cable/racks back to the helm properly.

Then re-adjust cables at the aft end to remove excess/free travel.

CAUTIONARY NOTE:
    IF you are not 100% confident in your own abilities to properly and accurately perform these tasks, PLEASE STOP and enlist the "hands-on assistance" of a Knowledgeable and Trained Technician.

Steering is NOT an "Optional Accessory".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    its all about engagment of cables to helm under dash
    Thank you

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1 to Joe's assessment.

If you first adjust the aft end to relieve any "pre-load" on the cables, you can often unbolt the racks from the helm (or loosen enough to disengage from helm gear) with the engine STRAIGHT.

Carefully rotate helm (wheel) until as close to straight as possible, then bolt the cable/racks back to the helm properly.

Then re-adjust cables at the aft end to remove excess/free travel.

CAUTIONARY NOTE:
    IF you are not 100% confident in your own abilities to properly and accurately perform these tasks, PLEASE STOP and enlist the "hands-on assistance" of a Knowledgeable and Trained Technician.

Steering is NOT an "Optional Accessory".

Thank you

7. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................