Thread: Ranger RT188P

Ranger RT188P

Hi. Thanks for allowing me to join your site, and this is my first post.

I am looking at retirement very soon, and really wanting to get back into the fishing scene. I love a great batch of crappies, or some gills, and enjoy popping a bass every now and then also. I have never owned my own boat before, but have spent a fair amount of time in one, just not a lot lately. I've always been kind of a Ranger fan, probably more from hype than experience.
    I have been watching videos until my eyes bleed, and I am really liking the RT188P, with the 115 Merc. Not sure I need that kind of HP, but I want a decent ride, with grandsons along.
    I definitely like the idea of the built-in cooler, as I drink a lot of water. And a cold sandwich always hits the spot.
    I know that I would want to upgrade the trolling motor to a 24v 70 lb, and I really like the spot lock feature. I'm not sure that I would need the jack-plate, or the drop-arm anchors. Maybe just a rope and anchor, once in a while?
    I have zero experience with electronics, but watching videos, I like the ability to watch my lure go to the fish. That's amazing!

I really didn't want to spend $30,000, but I don't want to spend $20,000 and then fix surprises.

I am open any and all advice, please.

Hey welcome, your right on your thought process, 30k with warranty or 20k and unknown. Can't really elaborate on it as there are so many variables but if you would like to make a new thread In The Ranger boats or tin boats subcategories it will get more traffic than in this area. http://www.bbcboards.net/forum.php
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Get the 188P with the trolling motor delete and electronics delete. It will save money. Then buy used electronics and trolling motor. Add a jack plate in case you ever want to add power poles later. Get the $400+ trailer brake upgrade and the $190 boarding ladder in case you ever fall over. I’m partial to the dual console as I like the look and glove box room.

4. Calvin Roy Harrison
    sni-per,

Good luck with your purchase. Just don't do what I did and upgrade stuff and add fancy electronics until you end up spending almost as much on upgrades and electronics as the boat is worth. I tried to get the best trolling motor and fish finders I couldn't afford and didn't need. I finally ran out of money before I could add the Humminbird MEGA 360 to my order (darn it). So, If you run out of ideas for must have items for your new RT188P, I can send you my list. My 2021 RT188P with the passenger side console was ordered back in January and I'm still waiting with no delivery date in sight :( . The down side to the LONG wait is that I have all this time on my hands to second guess my order. Since I placed the order with my dealer, I have done two CHANGE REQUESTS. The first CHANGE added the "Mercury 84-8M0115080 SmartCraft VesselView Mobile Kit" so I can track engine data on my iPhone, see the engine hours and use the VesselView app to track the engine maintenance. That first CHANGE also added the "Mercury 8M0110639 Vesselview Link Base Kit" and some other doodads so I can see the same engine data on my Humminbird fish finders. A few months later, I sent my dealer CHANGE RQUEST #2 swapping out the on-board battery charger replacing it with the "Power-Pole CHARGE Marine Power Management Station".
    Calvin Roy Harrison Retired Border Patrol
    2021 RANGER Z185