Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

Who has been on the slabs?

Caught 30 plus on grand lake Monday! 9 were keepers. Tons of short fish. All caught on a 1/32 hair jig yellow/red dephs from 3-15 foot.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

2. Member
    Can’t wait to get out, water is getting softer here but still a few weeks away I would expect. First trips and finding fish are always fun
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

3. T Dub
    Best trip ever with my wife and daughter yesterday - caught close to 100 and kept a limit of 45. Slabs were stacked on docks and hungry!

4. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Nice!!!
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

5. T Dub
    Things have slowed some due to rain and muddy water. Last two trips only had 13 keepers each day. Hoping next week's weather will be nice!

6. Member
    Been catching decent numbers, but size has been poor.

7. Member
    PXL_20210328_014236956~2.jpgPXL_20210329_220334816.jpg
    Wacked em last Saturday. Water temp 42. Stacked up high in some deep timber. Wife caught a 13" (Fish Ohio - get a certificate for big fish) and my 7 year old son was yanking 12s left and right. Mostly caught on baits I made. Got a few on the joker as well.

8. Member
    Fishing in my area has been hit or miss. Some days over a few dozen fish - mostly crappie, some bass and perch; some day I'm lucky to catch one fish. Water temperature is slowly going up with night time temps above 40 degrees but day time temps above 60. The lure design OH Ranger caught those fish on are one of my favorites.

9. Member
    Update:
    Yesterday my partner and I heard that using a float and small tube could catch panfish in a wetlands cove. It did to the tune of over 20 fish between the two of us. Before that my buddy called me at home asking if we could take out my flat bottom and find similar spots on the same private lake I've fished for over 40 years. My fishing logs don't show a whole lot of activity in April but I figured it was a nice day to be out so why not.

After casting all over a large flat in 5' we finally got 5 decent yellow perch. The fishing as expected was not worth staying out considering the weed growth absent this time of year and the 54-degree water temperature. (The day before, I hit another lake and only caught 10 fish in 7 hours.) But at the last minute I suggested going to this wetland cove accessible by a shallow channel. A good amount of rain this year allowed for the 2.5' of water into an hourglass-shaped cove surround by woody brush separating it from the main lake.

I still can't remember having done well there after so many decades, but I must have considering the difficulty of rowing and pushing us into the cove which immediately came alive with hundreds of spooked fish. What kinds of fish we would soon find out!

My partner cast a Crappie Magnet and hooked up with fish after fish, the same for me using different soft plastics and light jigs. The first cove produced over 30 fish between us; the second cove over 60 fish. Now, when have you ever heard of a mixed school of fish sitting in the same shallow water? We caught mostly crappie and sunfish (3 species) but also 12-11" bass and a few of the following: yellow perch, a gold shiner and a 12" white perch.

We caught fish on 12 different shapes of my soft plastics rigged on ball head jigs 1/64 oz - 1/24 oz. 8 lb. test Braid was all we used to cast the light lures over 40' and felt the strikes immediately! Hook sets were a bit tricky at first for my partner because of the small hook gaps so I suggested he not set the hook like for bass meaning: raise the rod tip to the side allowing the fish to begin the hook set from panic and then one more rod tip tug. He immediately caught 6 crappies on six consecutive casts! Always glad to help a partner.