Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Trailer registration fee gouge-any hope in site?

Last year saw the increase of trailer registration hike by $100.00 across the board regardless of trailer size/capacity. A bass boat went from $18 up to $118, there's no way I'm paying $118 this year, are there options for out of state registration? I keep my boat in WI but I can't register it there because I'm not a resident. What are other people doing? I did email my state rep.

2. Member
    Ticket is less than sticker

3. Member
    Get a "C" plate for your towing vehicle, and "ST" trailer plates. "ST" plates cover no weight, that's why "C" plates on a towing vehicle should cover both the towing vehicle and your boat @ 10k pounds. "ST" plates are lifetime and only cost around $20.

4. Member
    50K boats 50K trucks to pull 10K on electronics and tackle...........
    Please release me,let me go.

Forget any relief from the tax gobbling State of Illinois. Your State Rep is going to agree and hope that it can be rolled back some ... then he'll go to lunch with the boys and forget you exist. That's what happened to us when we protested last spring. We have allowed the State to become one party rule and this will continue to happen until we are gone. They will soon start with gun registration is my prediction. In fact, I believe there are bills in committee.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak16 View Post
    50K boats 50K trucks to pull 10K on electronics and tackle...........
    I drag a 1992 Stratos with a Tacoma...

7. Member
    ST plates one time fee $19 B truck plates are good for 8000 pounds.

8. Member
    I recently read that there is a House Bill to change boat trailer plate fees back to $18 and to reimburse $100 to people that paid the higher price last year
    We will see if that passes. Not sure what time frame they are trying to get that done by

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickk View Post
    I drag a 1992 Stratos with a Tacoma...

10. Member
    Looking at the SOS page and not seeing any “ST” designated trailer plate...what am I missing?
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Komatoz521 View Post
    Looking at the SOS page and not seeing any “ST” designated trailer plate...what am I missing?
    from what I've looked up, the ST designation is reserved for "Semi-Trailer" so I don't think you could legally run that plate, if anyone knows differently please chime in.

FWIW, I came across this facebook post while looking in to ST plates:

https://www.facebook.com/14333784237...8295086209439/

More on $25 Trailer Plates - Yesterday I did a Facebook Live about the mythical $25 trailer plates folks were passing along on Facebook.
    It turns out there is no such thing as a $25 trailer plate. There is a $19 Semi Trailer Plate with a $6 reclassification fee though.

So is it possible to reclassify your TA plate as a Semi Plate? We reached out to the Secretary of State and got the following response:

"The Secretary of State’s office is NOT recommending use of the ST plate as a substitute for the $118 TA plate.
    However, the ST plate CAN be used in place of the TA plate as long as the purchaser is aware of the additional requirements.

The ST plate (Semi-trailer) is a onetime purchase (lifetime) plate with NO renewal fee. The plate carries no weight so the weight of the trailer and everything on the trailer must be covered by the plate that is towing it. If you have a B truck plate or a passenger plate the total weight (vehicle trailer & contents) cannot exceed 8000 lbs. This is sometimes a problem. We would also caution Law Enforcement (LE) doesn’t necessarily see this the same way SOS does. If people start using the S-T plate, there may be Law Enforcement who disagree with this and may ticket or take other action depending on what the individual is carrying/hauling etc.

The ST plate also requires annual IDOT inspections."

So, what does this all mean? Well using the example of a 2019 F-150 which has a 6-7,000lb GVWr depending on trim.

The truck is a B plate, but if you added a 3,000lb GVWr TA plate, now you have to cover 9-10,000lbs on a plate which is a C plate or $67 more per year. Plus annual inspection costs.

If your truck runs close to the 8,000lb mark already, then you would be looking at a D class plate ($87 more annually) plus annual inspection costs.

Now you have the information behind the ST plate. It's up to you to consult with lawyers, law enforcement, and insurance companies to determine if this solution works for you. - SKI

13. Member
    Or just don't renew and say Oops when pulled over then just eat it and renew your plates....

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooksetter5 View Post
    Forget any relief from the tax gobbling State of Illinois. Your State Rep is going to agree and hope that it can be rolled back some ... then he'll go to lunch with the boys and forget you exist. That's what happened to us when we protested last spring. We have allowed the State to become one party rule and this will continue to happen until we are gone. They will soon start with gun registration is my prediction. In fact, I believe there are bills in committee.
    I'm in Illinois some for work! I feel like i need a shower when i get back across the state line as i have been violated from crazy high gas taxes and hotel taxes! I truly feel sympathy for working taxpayers in this cesspool corrupt state.
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

15. Member
    Thanks for the info Kelly, I’ll just continue to pay the outrages prices
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

University of Illinois - Chicago study claims that Illinois is #2 (pun intended)... in corruption. https://www.illinoispolicy.org/repor...ption-tracker/
    People permanently leaving Illinois only increase the tax burden on those of us stuck here.
    Last edited by hooksetter5; 03-16-2021 at 08:02 AM.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightbasser View Post
    I'm in Illinois some for work! I feel like i need a shower when i get back across the state line as i have been violated from crazy high gas taxes and hotel taxes! I truly feel sympathy for working taxpayers in this cesspool corrupt state.
    Those tax payers in the lower brackets voted for the tax increase. Because why would we want to tax people that have money?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightbasser View Post
    State of Chicago is the problem !

19. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Are you all done yet?
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

20. Member
    My own personal experience,

I went to the DMV last year to renew my plates. The lady behind the counter had said “ok, do you want to pay $120 (not sure what the exact cost was) and it expires in a year or do you want to pay $18 and it never expires?” Long story short they brought this up to
    me and I have ST plates on both my boats, an enclosed trailer and a flatbed trailer as well. I did ask if there was any kind of inspection or fees associated with it and my DMV told me no. This is just my personal experience at my local DMV.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast