Line vs Technique question

Just curious as what lines you guys use for various techniques when fishing clear water for Smallmouth. For example, do most prefer FC for tubes or drop shot? How about Texas rigged baits? Do you guys feel that FC gives you an advantage in ultra clear water?

Spinning Rods:
    I spool with 30lb Braid and then attach a 15 foot 10 pound test fluorocarbon leader. If I'm in heavy current with Big Smallies I may bump the leader up to 15 pound test Fluorocarbon.

Bait Casters:
    Moving baits like Cranks and Spinnerbait (cast and retrieve) I use Monofilament in 10 to 17 pound test.

Feel the Bite Type Baits like Jigs, Senkos, etc... I rig with 30 pound Braid and use a 15 foot Fluorocarbon leader if I feel it is necessary (15 pound and sometimes 20). If its weedy or stained, no leader just straight braid.

PS - A lot guys caught a lot fish for many years with plain old monofilament.
    Last edited by LennyB; 03-11-2021 at 01:20 PM.

3. dartag1829
    Spinning rods 8-10 lb Fireline Smoke with a 10 lb Floro leader. Casting rods 17 pound Florocarbon. Top Water 30 lb Fireline Smoke. Frog and Flipping 50 pound Suffix Braid. Have not used Mono in years.

Going to shoot some underwater video of spawners with my Go Pro this spring showing you really don't need a leader with light braid. Did it last year but it was cloudy and didn't look good. This is a frame using 17 pound Floro as a leader. You can't see it but you can see the bait in the fishes mouth.

bass3.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dartag1829 View Post
    Spinning rods 8-10 lb Fireline Smoke with a 10 lb Floro leader. Casting rods 17 pound Florocarbon. Top Water 30 lb Fireline Smoke. Frog and Flipping 50 pound Suffix Braid. Have not used Mono in years.

Going to shoot some underwater video of spawners with my Go Pro this spring showing you really don't need a leader with light braid. Did it last year but it was cloudy and didn't look good. This is a frame using 17 pound Floro as a leader. You can't see it but you can see the bait in the fishes mouth.

bass3.JPG
    Awesome action shot!!
    2008 Ranger Z520 DC 2016 Suzuki 250SS
    1997 Javelin 400TDC 1997 Johnson 200 Venom

Steve does great videos.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    Straight floro 8 10 and 12.

Quote Originally Posted by SkidooSteve12 View Post
    Awesome action shot!!
    Sweet picture. 17 pound floro seems high to me but that’s exactly why I asked the question. It’s surprising to me that heavier line would work in that clear water but I’m sure it does.

8. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by EKYRanger View Post
    Sweet picture. 17 pound floro seems high to me but that’s exactly why I asked the question. It’s surprising to me that heavier line would work in that clear water but I’m sure it does.
    I used the heavier line to show Size Doesn't Matter. In line that is.