Using pressure treated lumber for fence

Is it necessary to use pressure treated lumber for a fence if I intend to paint it? I still plan to use pressure treated lumber for those pieces that will have contact with the ground (fence posts).

Thanks,

Robert

You can use cedar as another option but it's more expensive.
    If you plan to keep up on the paint maintenance yearly you can use clear pine or southern yellow pine. In the long run PT might be your cheapest bet
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

3. Member
    Dont paint it, use a stain and preferably an oil based stain, unless you will enjoy scraping in the future. Stain it before you put the boards up, or at least the first coat.

Buy right, cry once. Buy wrong, cry every time a board bows/warps.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GPtimes2 View Post
    Buy right, cry once. Buy wrong, cry every time a board bows/warps.
    That's what I decided to do, not worth the future hassles. But damn!! Lumber prices right now, it's gonna cost me about $3500 for materials for about 300 feet of privacy fence and I'm doing all the labor.

Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    That's what I decided to do, not worth the future hassles. But damn!! Lumber prices right now, it's gonna cost me about $3500 for materials for about 300 feet of privacy fence and I'm doing all the labor.
    I saw a meme on the internet showing a pick up truck filled with lumber and drywall with the caption "$1800 worth of building materials 2019". Then a pic of a pick up with 20 pieces of 2x4's with the same caption "$1800 worth of building materials 2021".
    Materials are crazily high priced and wait times are crazy long on most products. Material prices are so high people are cancelling their contracts to remodel or build their house. Bids that were given 4 months ago are being redone with with price increases in the thousands to tens of thousands of dollars more than the original bid.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    5 years ago our sub would do 300' in redwood fence for under $4000 6' high....in Hawaii.... lumber prices are asinine right now

8. Member
    I've set 9 posts so far and decided to try out this Sika Post Fix. It's a 2 part expanding foam that is equivalent to two 50lb bags of concrete. I gotta tell ya, this stuff is fantastic and the posts I've set are solid!! This is so much easier than carrying around 50 pound bags and mixing concrete. It will fill a 8 inch hole, 2 feet deep about 4 inches from the top. After tamping down fill dirt to ground level it's as solid as concrete.

It's about $6 more than concrete but is well worth it for the ease of use and not having to deal with heavy bags of concrete.

As I was researching this it has pretty good reviews, there are some folks that have had issues, but could be because they did not use it properly. One of the common issues is most folks who have had issues didn't pre-plumb and support their posts and instead tried to level it while the foam is expanding, this will cause the foam to separate from the post and cause the looseness (I made this mistake on my first post) but every post after that is solid. I've read that electric companies use a similar expanding foam to set electric poles.

https://retail.usa.sika.com/en/produ...fence-post-mix

9. Member
    Progress so far on the fence. I wanted something other than a typical picket style fence but I underestimated the extra work involved so going slower than expected. Six foot sections instead of 8 and a 2 x 4 in the center of each section to provide more stability as well.

10. Member
    Very nice work, I like it!