Thread: Wilson Lake

Ryan_8

Wilson Lake

Heading to Wilson Lake (17th-21st) and staying near the mouth of Shoal Creek. It will be my first time on the lake. From what I read Shoal Creek and Mckiernan creek are supposed to be excellent fishing. I would like to catch a few smallies and wondering if I will catch them in those creeks or if I need to run up to Wheeler Dam? Any advice including current water temp/color would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2. Member
    You might catch some in Shoals Creek but your best bet will be to go below Wheeler Dam. They could be in the current or could be in the slack water. A swim bait is probably going to be your best bet to catch a big one on. The water will still be low below the dam so be careful.

Wilson has been very muddy lately but is clearing up nicely. There was a tournament Saturday and it took a little over 27 lbs to win it. Big fish for LM and SM were both over 7lbs each. Don't overlook Four Mile, Six Mile and Town creeks as well as the ones you listed.

4. Ryan_8
    Thank you.

Fish below the dam for smallmouth if that is what you are shooting for. You may catch some in the creeks, you will catch some below the dam.

6. Member
    Can you safely fish below the damn in a kayak?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    Can you safely fish below the damn in a kayak?
    If you are in town today run to safety harbor and look and that will answer your question! In general there are too many obstacles and too many changing conditions for a kayak, there are places where we don’t kill the outboards in case we get caught in something that requires a quick course correction. You could theoretically fish further downstream by going out the back exit from safety harbor and fishing the eddy lines at the mouth of big nance creek, and go back in the creek as well, just wouldn’t try it on 170k-200k day like the next few will be.