Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Repowered with 150ss

Anyone know why the WOT for these Zukes have such a wide band? 5000-6000 rpm? Should I be up in the 5700-6000 range when propped right? I had a 24 pitched 3 blade installed (Scorpion). Finally got the break in portion completed for the 3k and 4K time periods so I’m ready to see what WOT looks like. At least for 5 min at a time. 🙈

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinman View Post
    Anyone know why the WOT for these Zukes have such a wide band? 5000-6000 rpm? Should I be up in the 5700-6000 range when propped right? I had a 24 pitched 3 blade installed (Scorpion). Finally got the break in portion completed for the 3k and 4K time periods so I’m ready to see what WOT looks like. At least for 5 min at a time. 
    Do you have the new one with the 2:1 gear ratio? Great engine. What boat? Yes, you want to run closer to the 6,000 RPM limit as you can. That prop has a massive diameter, so you may want to try some different ones to dial it in, if you can.

3. Member
    Wave,
    Yes it has the 2.0 gear ratio. I’m going to time my hole shot and see what rpms I get at WOT tomorrow. Should tell me which way I need to go or if I guessed right the first time. Once I get that info I’m going to look for a 4 blade also. I’m taking my Dad and brother fishing next month and I’m concerned with all that extra weight it my be hard to get on plane with a 3 blade?

4. Member
    Wave,
    Sorry forgot to mention it’s on a 2003 Ranger 185vx.

5. Member
    Update. Couldn’t get rpms above 4900. The average was more like 4700. Measured my ptp and it was 4.75”. Manual jack plate at max height. Sooo. Taking it back to my dealer to have the motor raised to get within that 3-3.5 in range. Once that is done I will test again. Have a feeling I need to be in that 23 pitch range but with the Solas Scorpion blade that probably means a 21 or 22 pitch. Once I get it dialed in I will share for any future 150SS users.

If you can, get your hands on a couple different props, Fury, Trophy, Tempest etc. Tried and true. Most important, raise you engine, you are running it a bit low. The large diameter prop you're running, and burying the gearcase will cost you lots of RPM. That new gear case is meant to run high.

What was the previous engine and best prop?

8. Member
    It had a 175 Optimax (2003) running a 24 pitch tempest blade. The dealership mounted the new motor at the same height as the old one. It would run low 60’s. I’m surprised that height setting worked for that motor. Not sure where I can get some loaner props to try. Would also need the hub kits to fit the Suzuki. So my plan is to take it to the dealer and raise the motor up on the jack plate (8”) and lower the jack plate so I have room to adjust up or down from the 3-3.5 range. Once that is done I will test drive with the typical 3.5 as a starting range and see where my rpms are. I know I will need to go down in pitch but not sure just how much yet. The scorpion were recommended for the new Zukes by Team Marine and so that is what I went with as a starting point. However they were propping for 250ss so when you drop 100 hp I’m guessing the pitch need to go down a bit? This is a learning experience for me. First boat I’ve had to do setup on. Now I’m just wandering 21 or 22” prop? If I can get in the low 5k rpm with the raised height one of those should put me in the ballpark?

Ya, you're on the right track. Testing and more testing. It is hard when props are so expensive. That gearcase can probably run anywhere from 3 1/4" to 2" below the pad, depending on the boat prop etc. The boat will handle much better when the gearcase is higher as well, you'll need less trim as well. And always watch your water pressure but it should be fine with the low water pickup.

Pitch is one thing but the diameter also affects the RPM and other characteristics. A smaller diameter prop will react differently, as well as a smaller diameter 4 blade will respond differently and pitch is variable from design to design. And yes, the 150 HP will do better with a smaller diameter in general. Account for approximately 100 to 150 RPM increase for every 3/4 to 1" increase in height. Also, many smaller diameter props of the same pitch will turn a higher RPM, especially as you go up. A 22" to 23" pitch Trophy or Laser 2 will probably rev 500 more RPM when raised up enough, maybe more.

Keep us posted, sounds like a nice rig.

Share some pictures too, would love to see a shot of that gearcase and engine.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wave to Wave View Post
    Share some pictures too, would love to see a shot of that gearcase and engine.
    Will do. Crammed in the garage at the moment but I will take some pics before I head out to my dealer tomorrow.

12. Member
    4700 RPM is lame to say the least. I presume you are using the 14 inch +/- diameter props.

13. Member

150SS pics

As requested
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Member
    Had my motor moved up and jack plate adjusted to 3.25 ptp from 4.5 ptp. Max rpms now 5300. Currently running a Solas Scorpion 3 blade 15x24. So making progress. Tested with a really good setup guy yesterday. His recommendation was to go with a 22” prop same model and then fine tune the ptp from there. I went with the scorpion blade based on a recommendation for these new SS models from Team Marine. So I’m sticking with that for now and downsizing the pitch to get my rpms. Yes, it is a larger diameter prop and the blades are stiffer so a 24 is more comparable to a 25 pitch. So the 22 will be close to a 23 which my understanding is a common blade pitch for 150’s. I’ll keep you posted.

That's great. Is there a water intake on the front, nose of the gearcase? Great progress. Engine looks awesome.

Since yours is so new, there aren't many tests but a really close comparable is the Yamaha 150 SHO, same gear ratio etc. lots of tests, so good way to see some comps on similar boats and different props without having to spend the money!

Similar prop to yours, 15 1/8 3 blade 22" pitch.
    https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/ho...2017-06-30_bss

On this one, you'll see they actually run it over the recommended RPM range, 6,100 but get great performance out of it. These four strokes run best right the RPM max. 14.5" diameter 21" pitch.

https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/ho...2016-08-04_flt

Ranger, different model
    https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/ho...2013-07-31_bss

16. Member
    No water pickup on the nose. Thanks for the links provided!

17. Member
    I know its saltwater and offshore, but we always prop our Suzuki’s to hit a minimum of 6000rpm.

My DF115 will hit 6200 lightly loaded in flat conditions. My Zuke dealer says “Perfect!”.

These Suzukis love to rev!

18. Member
    any updates on the performance numbers?
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

19. Member
    Wow. Motor looks great on there!!
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"