Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Since I started this, I might as well follow up. I can't say I am the hardest fisherman on batteries, but this one has been just fine. Never had a low voltage warning, and my 200 Pro XS starts up immediately every time. Now, I do take the precaution of sleeping both my console units when fishing, but I never turn my Garmin black box off, and I do not sleep the bow unit ever. I also do not run the live wells very often.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

2. Member
    Good to hear on the update. My experience has been positive as well. Mine is 3 years and 7 months now and I just spent a FULL day in Venice trolling against the Tides all day and not a hint of my Pro Guide Cranking battery fading at all. And that is running live wells, 2 helix 10's, power poles, and serving as the 3rd trolling motor battery in my 36 volt system.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

3. Member
    I have read all the posts and don’t understand? One person says the battery meets the specs and others say it doesn’t? If the specs say 650 ca would BassCat really put them in to crank the new 4s motor??

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortbus17 View Post
    I have read all the posts and don’t understand? One person says the battery meets the specs and others say it doesn’t? If the specs say 650 ca would BassCat really put them in to crank the new 4s motor??
    This is straight from the battery:
    CA 815
    CCA 650
    RC 245
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

^^^i just have/had the exact same battery that came in my Jaguar from the factory. My dealer called me when it arrived and said it didn't meet spec for my motor. I bought another battery from them that they said met specs. Got home and read owners manual. Mercury manual actually showed the CA required were within spec per the battery Basscat put in. The cca on the battery was what I'm optimistically hoping my dealer got confused on, in which case is low....HOWEVER Mercury states their number required is CA not CCA. Also The factory battery has a really strong RC (more than the one I was advised to buy ...for no reason now come to find out)

moral of the story is read your Mercury owners manual before you replace what Basscat installs from the factory.

to the contrary, just for discussion, if you read what don weed has posted on the Mercury forum the factory battery does not meet spec. Ughhh, I'll probably end up buying ANOTHER battery like I usually run( x2 power agm) so I won't have to think about it anymore.
    Last edited by white gambler; 10-12-2021 at 07:33 PM.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

Run the battery we supply and it is underrated for safety. Many batteries are top rated and this one sits above the threshold.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    The Pro Guide battery that Bass Cat is recommending is an excellent battery. We do tend to push people to the Odyssey Extreme 31 if using more than a two graph set up.

Joe McBride

8. Member
    I've had 0 issue with 4 31 series pro-guides on my Lynx. Two years so far. The key IMO is keeping them on hooked up on charger. I leave them trickle charging 100% of the time and charge them immediately after getting off the water. Never had even a hint of issues with cranking engine.....

I also run 4 graphs, and Livescope. 2-12" and 2-10". I'm not sure how someone could test drive a battery more than that, but I guess it's possible.

9. Member
    This controversy with the ProGuide 31 AGM has puzzled me for some time. So today I called the company. I thought that perhaps the published specs may be wrong, but they are correct. The specs that it has, with its extremely high RC (245) and a low cca (650) is typically indicative of a battery meant for cycling. After talking with them, they confirmed that was so. Their website describes that "these batteries will outlast you on a windy day" which implies cycling use for a troller.

So if you are a numbers/specs person, like I am, you would not choose this battery for cranking a Merc and having some electronics. I have a different AGM with more ccas for cranking my Merc 4s. However, as noted by several here, in spite of the numbers, for many it works as a good crank battery. And BCB would not install them for cranking if they did not have confidence in them.

He also explained that unless you have an AGM battery made with pure lead (Odyssey or Northstar), it is very difficult to produce a battery with both high ccas and high RC.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

10. Member
    Is there any difference in the requirements from Optimax to 4 stroke of the same HP?
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123