Thread: New PB

New PB

I thought I'd post something here before Al archives our entire MN forum.

Got out on the water yesterday (in MN) breaking my all time PB for earliest launch by 3 days set back in 2012. Put in on Pool 2 (aka Puke 2). With the nice gradual thaw we've had, the water level was normal and there was no flotsam in the main channel. However, the water temp was a brisk 39. I got the new Motorguide Tour Pro calibrated and I have to say that spot lock is amazing. Yeah, I know I'm a little late to the party with that one.

Fished a few spots and could only manage this little feller. Other than the gusting south wind, it was good to get out on the water and verify that everything is shipshape for the upcoming season. Bad news is that spring fever is now raging and we of course have more winter to endure.

Eat your hearts out.

There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    we of course have more winter to endure
    I think we all know we have one more large snow storm coming, but maybe mother nature will play nice this year..... Nice to see thayt someone got out, was there anybody else out?

I saw maybe 6-7 rigs at the Hardman Ave launch when I drove by late morning. There was 5 rigs at Lion's Levee Park. Forget the snowstorm, we've got a large hail, high wind advisory today. Everyone else running a deep V waldo rig except me.

you got bait!

5. Member
    How was the spotlock on the MG? Can you compare it to a Minn Kota? Holds better, same, worse? Thinking of getting one as well. For some reason, i'm just not an MK fan.

Ron, the 3 hour outing the other day is my only experience with it so far so I'm a little hesitant to pass judgement on it just yet. I will say that the 3 times I used the anchor mode during that outing, they fully met my expectation and I was not disappointed in it other than the first time jerky movements which I am hoping is a "one and done". Here's my review of that outing if you're interested:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....1#post11744025

I can't compare it to a MK as I've never used the spot lock feature on an Ultrex. I will say that I have had plenty of chances to experience both a Fortrex and Ultrex while fishing in tournament partners and friends boats. Enough experience that the Ultrex was never an option for me. I plain just didn't like the feel of them. They seemed heavy and felt klugey and sloppy. I could never get used to the pedal and that had nothing to do with the go button being on the opposite side from the MG. I won't go into their unreliability here. I ran a Tour 82 on my first bass boat for 13 years and a Tour 109 on my current boat for the last 8 and while the mounts were noisy and clunky and the props sucked in the weeds, I never once had a breakdown on the water in 21 years. And I just like the feel of the MGs. They feel lighter, more nimble, more solid. And so far, with the very limited experience I have with the Tour Pro, I feel that it too stays true to those qualities. Time will tell of course if the mount holds up, it's any better in the weeds, and if it is reliable. In the meanwhile, the old Tour 109 will be traveling with me in the truck this year.
    Last edited by Macsimus; 03-11-2021 at 07:24 AM.

7. Member
    Thanks for the review! I've held out on an Ultrex...waiting for my Tour to break...it hasn't. As mentioned, i've never really liked Minn Kotas. The new Tour Pro sounds like where i'm going. I don't really care about anything but spotlock...and a lower mount that won't render my boat cover useless...as you also mentioned.

Did you find one locally?

8. Member
    Love it! We had lots of heavy rain yesterday up in the NW Metro. Hoping that speeds the melting of the ice! I can hope.

Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    Thanks for the review! I've held out on an Ultrex...waiting for my Tour to break...it hasn't. As mentioned, i've never really liked Minn Kotas. The new Tour Pro sounds like where i'm going. I don't really care about anything but spotlock...and a lower mount that won't render my boat cover useless...as you also mentioned.

Did you find one locally?
    Yes, bought it at the Rogers Cabelas in late January. At that time, they had 2 in stock. I paid full price but I wanted to get it before heading south in March but that fell through so I'm stuck here with Pool 2.

I wish I would've known about this BBC Sponsor as I could've saved some significant bucks and I'd prefer to buy from a board sponsor anyway. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=963274

Quote Originally Posted by bassmastermatt View Post
    Love it! We had lots of heavy rain yesterday up in the NW Metro. Hoping that speeds the melting of the ice! I can hope.
    Fingers crossed! The 14 day forecast (yeah, I'm desperate ) looks pretty mild. Hoping there's no more polar vortexes!!!

11. Member
    There's gonna be another snow storm! Our Louisiana trip is nearing, and it never fails...we either drive there or back in the worst storm of the year!

12. Member
    I got out on pool 10 that day and I only had 34 degrees. Only the main channel and some of the sloughs were open and all the bays were locked up. I was mainly trying to learn the new live scope. I don’t think I figured much out so back to u tube for more info. You caught more than I did tho!
    Pool 10

13. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Sorry to hear your trip got canceled, hopefully you can find something for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by basscla View Post
    Sorry to hear your trip got canceled, hopefully you can find something for next year.
    Thanks Craig. Yeah, we had a sweet deal going there and I knew it wouldn't last.