Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BPS/Cabelas rod/reel trade in program....

Looking to take advantage of the rod trade in program starting tomorrow that they have with the Spring Classic every year for the first time. Are selections pretty picked over by the weekend? Just wondering if I would be better off making a trip in tomorrow evening on the first day.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

Can't tell you about other places, but our local BPS was pretty thin a few weeks ago. Didn't make it over to Cabelas to check out their stock. I'm going to try and take advantage of the sale this weekend.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

3. Member
    Be prepared to buy at the store and wait for it to ship to the store, I was in the closest Cabela's 2 weekends ago and they have almost nothing except for house brands or Penn saltwater reels.

4. Member
    I work at the BPS in Pennsylvania, and I would strongly advise getting in there early. The inventories are very thin on a lot of rods and reels (unless you want an Ugly Stik) and there is no way of knowing when more will come in.

5. Member
    Will they order an item at the store for you if it's not in stock?

a friend of mine a few years ago work in the fish dept. at the one here, he claimed every night they would go thru all that was traded in and they could take what they wanted and the next day buy a cheap reel and to replace the ones they got..

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HobeyBaker View Post
    Will they order an item at the store for you if it's not in stock?
    Right now we are not allowed to place special orders unless the item shows as being in stock at their main warehouse. If it's a really hard-to-get item and they don't have any there, we can't place any orders for it. Reels have been the hardest item to get.

8. Banned
    I hope they have that new lews skipping reel in stock!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieBud View Post
    a friend of mine a few years ago work in the fish dept. at the one here, he claimed every night they would go thru all that was traded in and they could take what they wanted and the next day buy a cheap reel and to replace the ones they got..
    I can tell you that we do not do anything like that at the PA store. We get the same deal as everyone else, unless it's one of our private-brand rods or reels, where our employee discount is normally better than the trade-in deal.

10. Member
    Your best bet is to buy the reels online and exchange them at the store to get the discount. That’s the only way to ensure you get what you want.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassin_man View Post
    Looking to take advantage of the rod trade in program starting tomorrow that they have with the Spring Classic every year for the first time. Are selections pretty picked over by the weekend? Just wondering if I would be better off making a trip in tomorrow evening on the first day.
    you may want to wait one more day.............starts on Thursday.................."or", you'll be first in line!

12. Member
    Are there just BPS rods and reel's. Are you can pick any rod and pay the difference?

13. Member
    Before you go trading in your reels, send me a pm. I'd like to know what you have and may give you more than they do.
    Joey Aderhold

14. Member
    The one thing that irritates me is the people who trade in rods that have busted reel seats, missing guides, or broken tips; reels that are seized up or on the verge of inoperable just to get a discount on a new item. The trade ins are donated to local organizations for kids.

I also knew quite a few guys at Bass Pro (they were passed over for fishing dept positions at gander) and can say they admitted the rod and reel swapping does happen. At night they would pick through and if someone traded in mid-high end rod/reels in good condition, they would come into gander and buy the cheapest stuff we had, then go back to bass pro swap out the good rods/reels for the cheap ones and take the good donated stuff home.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I've worked with a lot of youth fishing groups over the years and have never seen the trade-ins at any event. Maybe they actually do, but it's a brilliant move by BPS to do the trade-in and get the old stuff off the street and sell new stuff. Like cash for clunkers, then there is less fishing equipment out there in the world so you have to buy it if you need it.

I hope i'm wrong and the stuff is actually being donated to good causes.
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

I never liked the trade in deals. Just give me a good price. Why do I have to trade something in?
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Whisperer View Post
    I never liked the trade in deals. Just give me a good price. Why do I have to trade something in?
    You don't. For example, trade-ins aren't even eligible for their $139 Carbonlite combo deal, which is a smoking deal BTW.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaderhold View Post
    Before you go trading in your reels, send me a pm. I'd like to know what you have and may give you more than they do.
    Now you sound like Ol Goob.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHelms View Post
    You don't. For example, trade-ins aren't even eligible for their $139 Carbonlite combo deal, which is a smoking deal BTW.
    I wish we had that deal locally on the baitcast combo. Locally it’s for the spinning combo.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Whisperer View Post
    Because the reels go for a good cause

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast