Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Just get a dual console bass boat of any manufacturer.

2. Member
    One more suggestion to consider, which I acknowledge in advance might be tantamount to sacrilege here... A hardcore outfitted fishing pontoon (e.g., Angler Qwest). Selling our pontoon is one of my biggest regrets -- and if I still had storage (and enough cash), I'd have a tritoon, with enough HP to scoot above 50mph, over every boat I've ever owned or fished out of.

3. Member
    I have a 2019 Alumacraft Competitor 175. It is has fairly low sides for a "V" hull, but still handles rough water pretty well. The stern pretty much sits as low as a bass boat. It's a single console, which is much more friendly for bass fishing. I hand land most of my fish with no issues. You'll want a 50" trolling motor shaft a t minimum and a 60" if you fish in rough water. I have no regrets with this boat, and many of my bass fishing friends agree it is better than a bass boat. I'm a young guy, but I know the older guys like the pedestal seats of an all-species boat because they're easier to sit down and get up. At the end of the day you have to decide what you must have and what you can live without. Bass boats definitely have better rod storage and more room on the deck for rods, but this has not been too much of an issue for me.

4. Member
    you need to ask yourself a question

do you want to be in the boat or on the boat?
    1995 Ranger 690 VS
    2008 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke

5. Member
    Like posmallie, I own a multi-species aluminum deep-V boat (also Alumacraft) because I often brought my kids and wife along. And, I often fish bigger waters here in the Midwest where it's often windy, which means the higher gunnels are safer. Sure, there are times I miss the lower sides of a bass boat when working jumpbaits and jerkbaits but I just adapt. Every boat is a compromise. If you fish bigger, rougher waters it's a no-brainer IMO. But if you fish skinny water on smaller, calmer lakes then I say go for the bass boat/mod-V hull.

6. Member
    Another vote for the Lund 1875 Pro V Bass with the XS seating arrangement. Kind of a no brainer choice based on what you described. Best of all worlds.

Get her the Smooth Moves seat base or something similar, and her own console, and she’ll be a happy camper.

7. Member
    The Lund pro v bass might be the boat for you.

8. Member
    PWC? While she plays, you fish?

9. Member
    Tiller boat. Get the room of a 19 fter in a 17 ft. Throw in some marine bean bags for comfort.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

10. Member
    I am in the same situation now, plus have young grandkids that want to go. Owning two boats is out of the question. I am leaning towards a center console hybrid type. I really hate to let my Triton and I part ways, but at 67 I don't fish tournaments any longer. My wife goes with me at least three weekend days a month, and now the grandkids all have fishing gear. Its a tough decision.

11. Member
    Yes, sure you won’t have quite as much deck space. Family is way way more comfy. Hell I’m more comfy. Sitting on the floor sucks and I’m in my 30’s.

way better in rough water also. Back casting deck is massive.

Alumacraft 205 competitor is about the ultimate. I have a lund impact.

12. Member
    what ever you get, your going to have to put a bimini top on it ,
    or your going to hear complaining ! ask me how I know ...............

13. Member
    Fish and Ski out of the question?

I have had most styles and as was said they all have there strong/weak points. With me I am going from a Bass back to a multi species 18' Lund. It will handle large water but still have a shallow enough draft to fish some skinnier waters. being more effected by the wind is the biggest drawback but they do so many things well, especially if you have to fish more than a few people.
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Yup 1875 lund pro v bass, or a little cheaper is the crestliner 1850 basshawk.
    Pro V. I got 60K in mine

16. Member
    If you ever start having any knee trouble then the multi-species boats are the way to go since their seat sit high up in the air. A whole lot easier to get out of one of those seats than a low to the floor bass boat seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I think the best layout for folks buying a boat with the anticipation that their mobility will not be what it once was is the stick steer layout. If they made them on slightly larger boats than they do those would be the tits.
    This is what my dad is looking for. He primarily crappie fishes and, at 74, isn't as spry as he used to be. He's thinking with a stick steer, once he's comfortably seated up front, he won't have to move around the boat much, therefore reducing his chances of falling down or falling out. Plus, since he's not sitting or standing on a deck, he won't have to reach down far to lip fish.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

18. Member
    My wife loves my bass boat, that nice flat deck that she can lay out on when she is done fishing and read or just chill. However when we get older the multi-species might make more sense from a safety perspective, yes harder to get it but also harder to fall out.

19. Member
    My wife and I are in our 60,s and decided to order a multi species and sell the bass boat.
    We both love our little bass boat but her knees are real bad from working on concrete floors for 30+ years and we do a lot of trolling for trout and salmon also so for us it is a great fit.
    In my opinion let her help with the decision of the boat may be some things she may like to be on it for her comfort and use. I am glad my wife fishes and was very involved in the purchase makes it OUR boat. Good luck on what you decide on.

20. Member
    A Lund Alaskan is a great retirement boat. Just put a 60” Terrova and a good Locator on it and you can fish big or small lakes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast