Thread: New Tritons

New Tritons

I’m in the market for a new boat and have it narrowed to either a Triton 18TRX or a Caymas CX 18ss. The big sticking point for me is Triton’s dealer network now appears to be Bass Pro. I went and looked yesterday and while the boat seemed solid, the sales staff seemed to be perplexed by my questions and I have heard nothing positive about their service department. Caymas scares me because it is so new.

So, my question is this. Is Triton still a premium brand and would you chance buying a new one from Bass Pro?

I wouldn't buy from bass pro, I'd look for a local dealer that sells triton, and I wouldn't be scared of caymas. I'd watch ken smiths caymas review, I think it's leading his new boat search still
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    It seems that BPS stores will only be selling Tritons if there is no Triton dealers near that location. That way they expand their territory but do not hinder a local dealer. The bottom line still goes in White River's pocket, so it only expands Tritons market presence. My preference would be to support a local dealer even if I had to drive further for a more personal relationship. White River spent a lot of money upgrading the Triton factory, so the attention to detail is much better than when Triton had to share manufacturing facilities and personnel with Ranger and Nitro.

4. Member
    The Triton is the better looking boat and may be as good of a boat but their brand management sucks right now.

5. Member
    I have an 18 TRX, rocksolid and I have no issues. But then I don’t have any issues with BPS either. I would buy it again. JMHO

6. Member

Gas odor fixed??

Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    I have an 18 TRX, rocksolid and I have no issues. But then I don’t have any issues with BPS either. I would buy it again. JMHO
    Has Triton overcome the gas odor that was such a problem in earlier Tritons? If yes, what do you notice about venting
    changes on the newer boats? Thanks!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanoTriton View Post
    Has Triton overcome the gas odor that was such a problem in earlier Tritons? If yes, what do you notice about venting
    changes on the newer boats? Thanks!
    I had a TR186 that had that problem. Some people were able to install vents and make other mods to fix it, I never did fix mine. I now have a 2019 model, I guess I’m not sure what they did but it is an absolute non-issue. My boat is over a year old and the front compartments still smell like they did when it was new. No issues with the boat at all.

8. Member
    ditto on both for me as well. Would buy another Triton 18TRX without hesitation, and have no issues buying from BPS. The 18TRX fishes and rides bigger than it is.

9. Member
    Yes ..only thing with BPS.. price listed is the price .. they don’t like to haggle. .. just like the nitros...
    is what it is...

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

I had a TR186 that had that problem. Some people were able to install vents and make other mods to fix it, I never did fix mine. I now have a 2019 model, I guess I’m not sure what they did but it is an absolute non-issue. My boat is over a year old and the front compartments still smell like they did when it was new. No issues with the boat at all.
    Yep, same experience with my new boat. No stinky
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph44 View Post
    Yes ..only thing with BPS.. price listed is the price .. they don’t like to haggle. .. just like the nitros...
    is what it is...
    Triton dealers are the same. Triton is a Nationally Priced boat. They all are priced the same. Only differences will be any dealer installed options and shipping cost differences.

12. Member
    The new Triton fuel system like all new boats is sealed like a car to keep fumes from getting into the atmosphere. There is a canister that contains all the fuel vapors. On the old boats it's the tanks that permeate the fuel smell.

13. Member
    If you want a Ranger or Triton you better get one thats in stock. They are 6 to 7 months out on builds right now.
    2018 Triton 22TRX - 250 Evinrude G2 HO