2012 250 SHO Oil problem

My oil alarm came on, idled back to ramp and got it on trailer. First thing I noticed was oil residue around my lower unit and prop. oil dip stick was showing just a little oil on the tip and it was milky. Any thoughts?

2. Member
    Not good ones. Sorry

3. Member
    Probably the dreaded 250 SHO cracked block. My friends blew up the other day. Same thing but no alarm.

4. Member
    Its not the block that's cracking, its the cylinder heads! Sorry to say OUTLAWMEDLER but it sounds like you have cracked heads. Join the club. This is becoming waaaaayy to common with Yamaha the SHO!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Its not the block that's cracking, its the cylinder heads! Sorry to say OUTLAWMEDLER but it sounds like you have cracked heads. Join the club. This is becoming waaaaayy to common with Yamaha the SHO!
    Agree. Join the club, OP.

6. Member
    What’s the avg cost of repair?

7. Member
    Yup. Been there done that. Cracked starboard cylinder head on my 2011 (I was the third owner and it’d already had the powerhead replacement in 2015).

First off have your mechanic call Yamaha to see if they’ll cover cost / send you a new cylinder head. This will only possibly happen if 1. you are the first / original owner and 2. you haven’t had the powerhead swapped/updated already. Even then it’s not a given based on the age of the motor.

re: cost - All said and done probably around 8 to 10 K For a new cylinder head and labor. For me my motor had so much water intrusion and damage I just got a new motor. Also if you go that route don’t just give the old motor to the shop put it on BBC as there’s a lot of guys who buy those SHO’s and rebuild them.

Luck
    Last edited by BassinLA13; 03-07-2021 at 04:40 PM.
    2024 Z520R / 2022 250 ProXS

8. Member
    OUTLAWMEDLER,

Same thing happened to me on an SHO VMAX 200. Lots of Smoke on startup of engine (after fishing for a period of time). Made it back to the boat ramp and trailered it. Upon looking at the dipstick it looked like Milk. Your engine overheated and the powerhead blew. There was no overheat alarm, nothing ! The minimum cost to get it fixed is 10K.
    2011 Skeeter ZX 200
    2011 Yamaha VMAX SHO

9. Member
    No smoke, motor never loss power, just a oil alarm

10. Member
    Smoke shows the presence of access water in the engine oil. You still can have cracked cylinder heads without smoke. Depends how long the motor was run with cylinder heads cracked. My cylinder heads have cracked on two different blocks (both under 200 hours) and I never had any water in the oil or smoke. My only indication was crankcase oil dripping down the skeg on both occasions. How long you ran it with cracked cylinder heads is what determines smoke or how much water gets into the oil. I also never had any alarms or loss of power either time.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWMEDLER View Post
    No smoke, motor never loss power, just a oil alarm
    it’s the “milky” oil part that prob means bad news.
    2024 Z520R / 2022 250 ProXS

12. Member
    Would a hard freeze be a cause for this?