SHO lower unit advice PLEASE

On Friday I detailed the boat including the lower unit of the 250 SHO. The next morning I had a small area of oil on the garage floor under the skeg. I called the dealer and he said maybe the water washed some sedentary oil out one of the vents on each side. However the oil was thick and clean. The next day there was only trace oil on the bottom of the skeg. I traced it to the starboard side vent where I could see oil in the creases. Nothing significant but wondering if it’s ok to run the boat this week. Leaving for my place at Gville tomorrow. Any thoughts? Thanks

2. Member
    OMG not another one! sorry but you have cracked heads! Go read the Yamaha board. I had the exact same symptom twice, both times Cracked Heads! Waiting on a new parts as we speak.

3. Member
    Thanks but I’m praying it’s just a loose lower unit drain screw. I watched a video of how to access and tighten. Thanks!

4. Member
    Was it gear case oil or crankcase oil??

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Was it gear case oil or crankcase oil??
    Gearcase........dealer overtightened the screw and the gasket cracked. Didn’t lose much oil and hope to get new gasket tomorrow

6. Member
    You got lucky it was only gearcase oil! I guess you should of mentioned that when you first posted...LOL. Anyway glad your good to go!

7. Member
    I said lower unit....I assumed that would be gear case. Sorry.
    Last edited by flyingwillie; 03-08-2021 at 03:20 AM.

8. Member
    Crankcase oil can find its way down to the lower unit and leak just FYI.

I wish yamaha went back to the cardboard style gasket instead of the plastic type. I could definitely see if you tighten the plug too much, where the plastic gasket could crack.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!