Other than Earl, what made you choose Caymas?

What made everyone choose Caymas vs the other manufacturers? How do you feel the quality I versus the others? I love the Caymas.

2. Member
    I went from a Ranger Z520C to a Caymas CX-21. My Caymas was absolutely perfect upon delivery. I decided to switch brands based off the reviews of it being a big water boat. The layout is awesome and I think they have the best battery compartment in the industry. I’m so happy I made the switch.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

3. Member
    I left the Ranger family after several years of selling Rangers and running a Ranger. I always ran a 520 because of performance speed and the ease of getting around in Ky Lake four to five footers, you could hold the nose up on a 520. I chose the CX 20 mainly for the same reason especially after seining the hull for the first time. The live well system is second to no one with out a doubt, i cant tell you on top end yet mine is in break in mode right now, but the ride is there. I am sure a lot of guys like the 21 better but for me the 20 does an awesome job. They have a huge new factory with a new 100,000 square foor finish room and rigging for their salt water boats and also a new two story office complex in the making. There is no doubt in my mind that Caymas will be in the top selling fiberglass boats in the country in the next few years!!!

4. Member
    I've had them all, my last three boats were Ranger, Phoenix, and I'm currently in a BassCat Lynx. Loved the Ranger but it was a Z518 and I found it just a bit two small. The Phoenix 920 was a really nice riding boat with a layout that really made sense, but the fit and finish wasn't what I was looking for. My BassCat is the best built boat I've ever had. It's a super solid boat and the fit and finish is very impressive. My issues with the cat is I could never get use to the odd shaped lockers. The cockpit is also very deep, the step ups form cockpit to deck are treacherous for this broken down athlete. Realizing no boat is perfect, but from what I'm reading and seeing online the Caymas checks most every box, performance, fishability/layout, and quality. I assume the trailer issues have been resolved. Full disclosure...this being said I bought this boat sight unseen and I've yet to take delivery on my CX20pro. Going on 12wks I hope I get a delivery date soon. Might sound weird but I dream about this boat nightly.

5. Member
    I've been die hard Ranger for years. On my third one and current boat is a Z521C with Evinrude G2. Instead of spending money on upgrades to my current boat I decided to look around first. I kept seeing great reviews on Caymas, started doing a bunch of research and talking to people in the business and made the choice to switch. There are a lot of well thought out features that I wish Ranger had and I was being told by a couple of dealers friends that if I bought a new Ranger today, it would not be as well built as my 2016. Like Leo, I am buying my CX21 sight unseen. No dealers in California, so going through Garett at Mid-Kansas Marine and hope to pick it up the first week of April. Counting down the days!

6. Member
    Kinda like buying a house. Do your research, comparisons, test drives (walkthroughs), but at the end of the day, you know when a house or boat feels right and more importantly, when it doesn’t. For me, Caymas felt right. Phoenix did not. Clean layout, modern switch controls, 16” flush mount graph at bow. Caymas being designed in the last few years vs. 2021 Phoenix felt like it hasn’t been updated in 10 years.

7. Member
    I haven’t purchased one yet but I’ve been following along with Rodney’s notes and information. He’s always been a straight shooter- and helped my father out with his boat years ago at a PVA in Kentucky- so I trust his opinions.

8. Member
    I always liked the Triton boat so I am interested in the Caymas, the post about Caymas having a lot of issues with cracking has me worried a bit, anyone else know anything about this ? I figure if anybody would know it would be Rodney.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    I always liked the Triton boat so I am interested in the Caymas, the post about Caymas having a lot of issues with cracking has me worried a bit, anyone else know anything about this ? I figure if anybody would know it would be Rodney.
    I am a little skeptical of the guy that stated there have been lots of issues with cracking. I have only seen 1 real post (on Facebook) where someone had cracking above his rub rail.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randy_almeida View Post
    I am a little skeptical of the guy that stated there have been lots of issues with cracking. I have only seen 1 real post (on Facebook) where someone had cracking above his rub rail.
    I'm curious, I have not heard of any "cracking" issues? Where's this being posted or discussed?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stein3411 View Post
    I'm curious, I have not heard of any "cracking" issues? Where's this being posted or discussed?
    It was on the Caymas vs Phoenix thread.

12. Member
    I personally have not seen any issues with cracking on any post i have looked at, matter of fact just the opposite with folks really up in the air about the great fit and finish on Caymas boats. I can usually pick apart a boat with negative issues from small to big time but i have seen very few issues so far. I do wish they had the Smart Craft Mercury gauges, they are more detailed and come in handy to the tournament fisherman especially on keeping up with precise fuel readings. A guy can always add the Mercury Vessel View to see all your data threw your electronics, i think i am going that direction. The ride in choppy water has been excellent to say the least, it went right over the top in those chops with none of those bone jarring effects like i saw in the wide front end boats of the past. I haven't got to fish much yet due to break in but what i have seen its sure does look impressive to me when you put the trolling motor down, feels very stable up front like setting in your home recliner lol!!!!

13. Member
    I’ve had my CX21 Pro for about a year and have been in fairly rough water several times and I agree that this is the best riding boat I have ever owned. I have had no issues and I have not seen any cracks or heard of anyone with that issue yet. I love mine and do not regret the purchase at all.