Updating my 2018 Tracker PT 175 Txw

I was fortunate enough to purchase this boat almost brand new at the end of 2019. Since it was my first fishing boat (I usually fished off the family pontoon) I kept the upgrades it came with from the previous owner....The boat had been updated to a 24v trolling motor (an 80lb fortex) an older Lowrance HDS8 pair with structure scan and a power pole micro, and was wired with a manual switch for jumpstarting the 12v battery if it died on the water. The rest of the boat was completely stock, and not a scratch on it.
    boatnew.jpg
    I live on a lake and due to the pandemic and living in NY, I was given ample time off of work and other obligations to fish this year.....my lake is small, and the few other lakes I fish in the area are also small.....This boat is perfect for my lake, both fishing and family use....
    largie.jpglilyfish.jpgbackrods.jpg
    After a few weeks of owning the boat my powerpole micro blew fuses almost every time I used it....I sent the unit back for exchange multiple times but each time it would start blowing fuses after a few trips. It was determined due to the unit being close to the water it was getting too wet (turns out they are not water proof?) so power pole took care of me (best customer service ever!) and by June I had come up with some cash to put a single full sized pole on the back.
    I also fished on a friends boat with a Terrova......spot lock was a game changer and I had to have it. After weeks of deliberation I decided on a ulterra over an ultrex. At the end of last season this is where we ended up.....
    boatfinal.png
    In upstate NY we have LONG winters, last time the boat was in the water was November.....and there is still walkable ice out there as we speak, so i had lots of time to tinker in the offseason. Try as I might I just couldnt get used to the electric pedal on my ulterra, it had to go and i was switching to an ultrex, along with this I decided to add an additional power pole, and due to needing to move my batteries around to accommodate the pumps I decided to go thru the entire boat bow to transom and upgrade just about everything I wanted.....
    This thread is going to cover all the upgrades best I can. I am long time high end European technician that got my start in the aftermarket car world, so I understand the need to share info as much as possible with step by step instructions. So that being said, any suggestions or questions as I go thru this....please feel free to add or ask!!!!
    Teaser of whats to come.....
    backPP.jpg
    Last edited by bluephone; 03-05-2021 at 05:46 PM.

2. Member
    So as you can see from the photos above, I added a 2nd power pole. The first one was awesome, but spinning around in circles got old in the fall last year so I updated to a 2nd one. This came with its own set of challenges....The previous micro (and then were the full sized pole ended up) was mounted with a tracker approved mount by the previous owner, thru the transom. A few things I hated about this....extra holes in the transom, and the pole ended up being mounted very far out, sort of inconvenient when fishing off the back of the boat. I knew I didn't want to add any more holes to the transom and I also wanted to put the poles as close to the motor as possible, so I opted for the "sandwich style" mounting brackets.
    powepppoll.jpg
    I have heard that it voids my warranty.....I just don't care much at this point as the boat is close to or out of warranty anyway. I have watched several videos of peeople simply loosening the motor bolts on both sides and sliding the brackets in.....I lifted the motor off a bit (there is a hoist hook built into the 60hp merc), cleaned the old sealant off, installed the plates with new sealant while remounting the motor.
    Now I needed to mount the pumps. I didn't want to give up any storage boxes and fill them with batteries or power pole pumps....This was the only location for them in my eyes so I had to get creative in other ways in order to mount both pumps in the battery tray....
    pPowerpolepumps.jpg

3. Member
    I recalled last year seeing another thread on here from ZZERICSC that there was a cutout under the center seat floor that could be removed....it seemed it would fit my 12v battery and that i could leave the trolling motor batteries in their spot out back. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=679353
    I removed the panel (4 screws) and saw that much of the wiring was actually run from the rear compartment along the bottom of the boat thru this hole.....it seemed the perfect place for my battery.....almost like it was made for it...
    battery.jpg
    I ran my wires, covered in a corrugated loom to protect them under the livewell and to the rear battery tray....from there I decided to use a common ground lug and power cutoff switch for everything and the battery got installed into a box with a cover to keep it all safe.
    battery3.jpgbattery4.jpgbattery5.jpg
    The panel that was there got trimmed down to fill in the remainder of the opening and a grommet keeps the wiring safe passing thru. The carpet had to be changed out as I needed to use the OEM carpet somewhere else for something small and didnt want to order a large piece....more on that next time.....
    Last edited by bluephone; 03-06-2021 at 09:12 AM.

4. Banned

5. Banned
    Awesome work.....one question. How low is the back of the boat in the water with the weight of the poles? Mines got the motor up grade and with the tank full their can't be a inch or two of the transom out of the water.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    Awesome work.....one question. How low is the back of the boat in the water with the weight of the poles? Mines got the motor up grade and with the tank full their can't be a inch or two of the transom out of the water.
    I havent had the boat in the water with both poles yet. The entire pole kit each installed is only 27lbs (including pumps and remotes) and 19lbs on the transom, per pole. The bracket obviously weighs a few lbs too...
    The 60hp motor weighs 247lbs vs the 75hp weighing 360....so I would imagine I am still well under the weight your boat has on the transom with just the motor alone..... Last year with one pole and all 3 batteries still in the tray, the rear of the boat was close to the waterline but not too bad. Its a crap photo but this shows how it sat with one pole...
    transom.png
    I am also hoping moving the cranking battery will push some of that weight somewhat forward.....I have been considering lithium batteries for the TM as well.....

7. Member
    A little project I made to hold some baits bags and jigs I use frequently so I am not digging them out of plastic bags in the boxes....
    1.jpg
    Start with some of this stuff, hardware store has plenty of it, under $4 for 4 feet of it. https://www.homedepot.com/p/TRIMACO-...184G/100118843
    Trim to size and trill holes as such....
    2.jpg4.jpg
    Your jigs and such can hang in these holes (usually up to 3 of them). I also purchase these shower curtain hangers....
    5.jpg
    I hang them under the front boxes....for me the bags of frequently used soft plastics go under the side lids and the jigs under the rod locker lid (have them trimmed to smaller lengths and have 4 of them under there)
    6.jpg7.jpg
    These hold up very well INSIDE your boxes. I made a few to have mounted along the versatrack, especially for the angler in the rear without access under the hatches easily. Those started to discolor after being installed over the summer. They havent broken yet but since they were rarely used by my fishing partners I removed them due to the discoloration. I would advise trying to find another color to install on the exposed part of the boat.
    baitholder.jpg
    Last edited by bluephone; 03-07-2021 at 07:47 PM.

8. Banned
    Very nice. So what did you do with the micro anchor? I may have missed it in your posts

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman90 View Post
    Very nice. So what did you do with the micro anchor? I may have missed it in your posts
    I was offered by power pole to trade the micro back into them for credit towards the full sized pole since they kept blowing fuses. Unfortunately there was an issue with supply this summer due to Covid and they didn't have any for months. Instead of waiting for the summer without an anchor of any type I sold the last unit (3rd one?) they sent me before I ever took it out of the box.

10. Member
    I did keep the spike for the micro tho....it makes an awesome push pole and has gotten me off a sandbar here and there. It stores quite nicely on the side of the boat out of the way.

11. Member
    I added these lights to the front rod lockers, LED so low power draw.
    Attachment 443336
    I purchased switches so they would turn on and off with the lids opening and closing.
    Attachment 443337
    They come in handy early mornings or in the fall putting things away on those quick trips after work where you're out a little late trying to get in "one more cast"
    Attachment 443338

12. Member
    Speaking of lighting I hate having to store the rear anchor light so i took advantage of my power pole and installed one of these this year.....
    Attachment 443339Attachment 443340
    Very bright and easy to install. The wires for the rear anchor light pole insert is easy to access under the right rear cover, there is a plug so it can be rewired if I want to switch it back in the future easily. Much brighter than it looks in the photo.

13. Member
    Can I ask what shaft length ultrex you mounted on your tracker. I am thinking about upgrading my minkota edge. I am thinking a 45 inch shaft should do.

14. BBC SPONSOR
    If you're considering Lithium and haven't purchased them yet be sure to check us out on the web or call me for additional information.

We offer several Lithium options to accommodate your needs

www.impulselithium.com

Bill

205-965-8436