Ulterra Belt torn

While lubing the belt I found a small tear in the belt and that edge of the belt from the tear to where it goes into the trim module has a rough feel to it. Is it time for a trip to an ASC (1.5 hour drive) or can I just take a razor blade & trim the torn part off. This just happened cause I usually clean & lube the belt almost every time I use it and also check the torque on the belt adjuster often. Motor is 3 years old. Minnkota tech support wasn't much help. When asked about trimming the tear I was told "I guess so". Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RichW; 03-05-2021 at 04:31 PM.
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

2. Member
    I think you have an issue inside the steering mechanism. Where did you get info about lubricating the belt? And what are you using? Petroleum based lubes are not good for plastics. I think it might be a good time to get it fixed up. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    I think you have an issue inside the steering mechanism. Where did you get info about lubricating the belt? And what are you using? Petroleum based lubes are not good for plastics. I think it might be a good time to get it fixed up. JMO Bob
    Manual instructs to use a water based silicon lube on the shaft & belt. I don't remember hitting anything with the motor deployed so probably somethings bad inside the mechanism. Just hate the long drive to the ASC.

USAF Ret

4. Member
    I was told to use Armor All on mine. It doesn’t list ingredients.

5. Member
    My manual says occasional aqueous based silicon on the composite shaft. Jig Man as far as armor all some of its products are not petroleum based, some are. Rich, The scratches on the shaft and the side of the belt groove have been posted before and all the ones that stated a fix were something to do with the steering mechanism. I have a 2018 Ulterra. I have no scratches on the shaft or wear on the sides of the belt groove. Bob

6. Member
    This is just the regular Armor All.

7. Member
    Original and you are good to go.
    Armor All protectant and leather care protectant products contain surfactants and water-based silicone emulsions. They do not contain alcohols or petroleum distillates. In addition, Armor AllŪ OutlastŪ Interior Restorer Cream and OutlastŪ Leather Restorer contain UV inhibitors.

8. Member
    Thanks so much Bob.

9. Member
    I am sure you are relieved! I questioned it so I thought I would check it out and wanted others to know. Bob

10. Member
    Finally made the trip to the ASC. The tech said I could probably trim off the tear but safer option would be the $341 trim unit. He ordered one, it wasn't on backorder so motor should be done by next week. Regarding the scratches, he says he see that all the time with shallow water Florida fisherman...guilty of that for sure. Also I counted 8 freshwater and 12 saltwater Ulterras and 3 or 4 other types of Minnkotas lined up for repairs.

USAF Ret

11. Member
    Sounds like they are experienced. Is that all they do there or is it a boat dealer as well?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Sounds like they are experienced. Is that all they do there or is it a boat dealer as well?
    Nope just.. Kels Rod Reel & trolling motor repair..great local folks

USAF Ret

13. Member
    Would someone be able to tell me if my ulterra belt tore or if this is the end of the belt, replacement belts don’t seem to have the same end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nybassin View Post
    Would someone be able to tell me if my ulterra belt tore or if this is the end of the belt, replacement belts don’t seem to have the same end.
    The belt is at the end of it life. I have never seen a belt do this unless an obstruction is hit. Recommend you get the belt replaced. If you have never done this it can be a time consuming job. I recommend you bring to an ASC. the belt should be able to be changed with out changing the trim module.