2017 Pro XS Dilemma

As the topic says, I have a dilemma that I am lightly taking a poll on to see where you guys/ladies would lean.

I have a Ranger z520c with a 250 Opti Pro XS that I found out yesterday (due to a small oil leak) has a potential cracked block. For a while now I have been intrigued by the new four stroke, but repowering a 4 year old engine is iffy so here goes the options.

Do I pay to have it fixed? Apparently there is like 9 months left on a gold warranty that I was unaware I needed to transfer to my name within XX days of dealer purchase (I am 2nd owner)
    -If I have it fixed will I be able to sell it or is it better to sell it cracked and let someone else invest to fix it

Do I repower with the newer engine?
    -If I repower, should I buy the extended warranty at that point, or through a board sponsor as I have read some great deals from some board sponsors.

Sad times for sure.... I brought the boat in due to the 2 stroke oil dripping down from the cowling thinking it was the ever talked about oil pump seal issue, but Whamo!

Anyways.... thanks everyone

Chris
    Chris Landerman

2. Member
    hours, ser number, wheres potential crack got any pics
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Boat is with the marine Mech, so I dont have the specifics just yet, but off the top of my head the hours were in the mid 100s, Serial number is 2B121432
    Chris Landerman

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The dealer should have advised you of the Product Protection, and assisted you with transferring that GOLD Service Contract into your name.

Additionally, they really should have let you know that there was an outstanding Service Bulletin (SB 2017-005) on the engine as well (better yet, addressed it).

Was this a Mercury Dealer?

Where on the block is the leak occurring?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    It is likely that they did tell me, but when everything was done over remote communications, etc its tough to say. I bought when the lakes were closed, the state was closed as well and there was a lot of challenges with using the boat out here during covid, so many things didnt go right. This is nothing to do with the merc and the dealer. The dealer has been a good one out here, and not the first boat I have bought from them, so I am not worried about that. i am more interested in a go forward strategy and asked the questions above to get opinions on what others might do.
    Chris Landerman

6. Member
    Don, as soon as I find out the location, I will let you know, but the mechanic did tell me that it looks to be a stress/vibration and not so much a blow. I didnt ask where exactly it was, but it sounded minor and only detectable when running/warm.
    Chris Landerman

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If the block is cracked and it's not going to be covered, that puts you pretty close to the "fence" in terms of whether it's cost-effective to replace the bare block (provided you know the builder will do it right), a reman powerhead from Merc, a fully-dressed powerhead, or repower now. In some respects, it would be wise to pick the options that come close to fitting your budget, and then do a "cost of ownership analysis" for each, based on the current value of your rig today, plus the costs, plus the maintenance upkeep, MINUS an estimated value at 5 years (or sooner if you don't expect to keep it that long).

This often helps you to see what will work for YOU the best in the long run.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor