Helix Losing Digital Depth at Speed

I have a Helix 9 MSI+ GPS G3N using a shoot through hull transducer, XP 9 HW and a y cable, 9M SIDB Y. The 2D works great at idle and the digital depth reading works great at speeds under 45 MPH.

The only reason I wanted the shoot through transducer and the y cable was to be able to get a digital depth reading at all speeds. However, at speeds above 45 MPH, the digital depth display goes blank.

So, are there settings in the Helix unit that I should try that might help me with this issue? I’m open for any suggestions. Thanks.

Most likely has to do with the position of the transducer in the hull. It may be too far forward or at too much of an angle and when you get over 45mph that part of the hull is no longer in contact with the water causing you to lose signal.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

It could be five different things or a combination of them:

1. Weak transducer
    2. Poor installation
    3. Wrong location
    4. Faulty connections
    5. Faulty unit processor
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma View Post
    I have a Helix 9 MSI+ GPS G3N using a shoot through hull transducer, XP 9 HW and a y cable, 9M SIDB Y. The 2D works great at idle and the digital depth reading works great at speeds under 45 MPH.

The only reason I wanted the shoot through transducer and the y cable was to be able to get a digital depth reading at all speeds. However, at speeds above 45 MPH, the digital depth display goes blank.

So, are there settings in the Helix unit that I should try that might help me with this issue? I’m open for any suggestions. Thanks.
    I have exactly the same equipment and installation on my boat and I had exactly the same problem at high speed. I checked the sonar settings and discovered that the "Digital Depth Source" (or something worded like that) was set to AUTO. I changed the setting to "2D Element" and the problem was fixed. I am not positive of the exact labels in the menu, but check all of the sonar settings and see if you see something like this.

5. Member
    Thanks. The manual mentions a digital depth source parameter under the sonar tab but it isn’t showing up on my Helix. Not sure why it isn’t showing up.

My manual also mentions that down imaging is not available with the 2D Element setting??

Ron

6. Banned
    In my experience most of it depends on the boat. I have had boats that would read at 60 mph and boats that would read at 40 mph.

On the 40 mph boat no matter where the transducer was located it wouldn't read past 40 unless you were making a slight left turn. We tested several locations in the bilge and every one of them was the same. Since I didn't always want to turn left we put it back where at the factory location and I lived with it. I've always assumed it was a boat built on Monday and the guy had a hangover .... lol