Can second owners buy extended warranty?

Hey all,

If you buy a motor off someone and it's still under factory warranty, can you as the second owner purchase extended protection?

Also, if you have extended protection, but are still under the factory warranty, can you buy additional protection? Say you have 2 years extended and decide you want more, can you add on to that?

2. Member
    Decided to be a big boy and actually read their provisions, so my first question is answered:

PURCHASE PERIOD: Contracts have to be purchased within the standard limited warranty period. Contracts purchased after the first year of the limited warranty are subject to a surcharge. MotorGuide coverage must be purchased within the first twelve (12) months. Second owners are also eligible to purchase the Plan. WHO CAN APPLY FOR COVERAGE: Owners, including subsequent owners, of an eligible Product according to the terms of the Purchase Period

So I guess that leaves my second question. For example: If, within the first year of ownership, I want to add on years to my platinum protection (say 2 to 5), would I be able to do so?

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you are the owner of the engine, and the engine is still under Factory Warranty (registered to you, for PLEASURE use, less than 500 total runtime hours, and your registered address is within the Continental US), then yes, it is possible to purchase a SERVICE CONTRACT (Example, Mercury PLATINUM Product Protection).

We offer Platinum Product Protection Plans at special discounted pricing for BBC Members. Drop me an email with the engine serial number and I'll be happy to provide you with a written quote.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor