99 optimax 200 issue.

I have a 99 optimax 200 that I just purchased. It went in for a tuneup before I bought off the guy and had a new throttle cable and spark plugs put in. When I ran the boat for the first time it started and idled great but wouldn’t plane out, come to find out the throttle cable hadn’t been adjusted and wasnt reaching wot, only 3000 rpm. Adjusted the throttle cable only and set my hot foot stop screw to where it hits just as it reaches wot. Took it out again today and it took off great and ran up to 62-63 mph easily and was still climbing but It started Chine walking bad so I shut it down and inspected a few things on the boat for about 10 minutes since it’s new to me. Went to take off again and got up to around 5200 rpm and it started missing and threw a check engine light with a continuous buzzer. Stopped and started 2 more times after that and it kept giving me the check engine light around 5000 rpm both times but I never pushed it any further than that, and the light Doesent stay on once I let off. Fixing to take into the shop, but just thought I’d see if anyone is familiar with a similar issue in the mean time. Thanks. Serial # 0G944236
    Last edited by Stratos1987; 03-04-2021 at 07:51 PM.

2. Member
    critical fault , what was water psi, possible problem low block psi need CDS/DDT scan to determine cause
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Wasn’t seeing exactly what it was cause I didn’t run it long. It was atleast 20 maybe a little more.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Get the Run, Fault Seconds, and Freeze Frame History printed out for info on what the most recent faults that occurred were.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor