Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    kasezilla it just sounds like you need to break the plate loose from the liner walls. If you're sure the screws are out then there isn't anything holding it in there. I would gently tap around the edges of the plate to try and break it free. Just be gentle and try not to gouge into the liner wall. It'll come out. Also, the trick to the screws is using a long bit (12" ish) so that your drill isn't at a steep angle and banging on the top of the pumps. That's how they go in there at the factory. I could certainly see there being any issue if the pumps were ever changed to a different make/model that was shaped differently and totally blocked the screw holes, but that doesn't look like the case based on your photos. Sorry this turned into such a pain!! Let us know if/when you get it!
    - Heath

2. Member
    Thanks Heath @h.Murphy. I think I have it solved now and all is good. Something to consider is at the deutsch connectors labeling them so that when you go back to make the connections you know which goes to which. This was a major hassle for me when I had to take them out to gain some access. One final tweak is where the trim tabs connect to the metal tube is a weird welded plate. On two occasions I have had to replace those when the weld gives. I finally just took a long piece of metal bent it into a u shape that fit into the two slots so there wasn’t a need for a weld. This seems to hold much better but a new design is certainly in order IMHO. Here are some photos of the piece (if it works) https://share.icloud.com/photos/0OAu...z1SEV8A#Austin

3. Member
    Before this I was an industrial automation and robotics engineer... I couldn't agree more about the benefits of proper wire labeling both during production and when performing maintenance well after. We will be using wire markers, likely something along these lines (see photo attached) for the new Gamblers for every major serviceable component connector.
    71nAR84xtUL._AC_SL1500_.jpgH4dd3674d7ee24b1698e299b21956005dE.jpg
    - Heath

4. Member
    I almost forgot to comment on the trim tab actuator bracket. At some point I think they changed the thickness of the either the tabs or the plate, and started resistance welding the tabs to the plate. The pictures you sent me (thank you!! btw) look exactly like some others I've been sent. It's pretty apparent that, like you said, the resistance welds are simply not holding up for one reason or another. Could be weld prep, could be plate or tab thickness, etc. Regardless, you are not the only who has run into this issue, so we are certainly going to get this fixed be fore boat #1 rolls out of the new plant in a few weeks. One more thing... if you have one of the failed brackets still around can you confirm if the plate and tab material thicknesses match this print? Looks like they do in the pics, but hard to tell for sure.
    Capture.PNG
    - Heath

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by H.Murphy View Post
    kasezilla did anyone from Gambler ever get back with you? I'm the lead engineer for the company and I usually field most of these questions, but I haven't heard anything about this yet. Anyway, JAZII is right about the screws and the plate coming out (picture of the plate drawing below). If they brushed gel coat over the plate after it was installed it may require a little elbow grease to break it free from the liner walls. We don't use any special tools or anything to install the pumps, we just do it before lowering plate down into position. Also, if your screws are already missing you should silicone the holes and put screws back in when you finish the pump change out. You don't want water getting in there between the liner and the hull through the screw holes.
    Attachment 443671
    What if water has already made it's way into the hull and liner area? OP didn't say how long that pump housing has been leaking.

6. Member
    Heath I think those blueprints are accurate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12