Banned

To all posters on this thread

Were your parents Christian? Did you go to church regularly as a kid? What about now?
    Last edited by rexico; 03-05-2021 at 05:01 AM.

2. Member
    My father was Church of Christ, and my Mother was Catholic. I went regularly with my mother and irregularly with my father. I was not a big fan of his church service, but really like the Mass.

Yes and yes, more often than most since I was an alter boy from age 7 to 13. I knew the mass in Latin even...

Now, no, not at all.

Tom

4. Member
    My parents were heathens just like I was :). No we did not go to church as a kid. At around the age of 11 we tried church :)

5. Member
    My mom was a holiday catholic (Easter & Christmas). I had little to no church experience until the age of 42 when I accepted Jesus as my Lord and savior in a Baptist church in MS. Prior to that day, my opinion of Christians was that they were weak minded fools who lacked the strength to make it through the day without falling back on their God.

Now I know that I was the fool and I regret the time I lost walking with Him. He worked a miraculous change in my life. Forgive me Lord where I fail you. And Lord I ask that You would open the eyes of those who seek You so that they may know You. Amen

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjrtykr View Post
    My mom was a holiday catholic (Easter & Christmas). I had little to no church experience until the age of 42 when I accepted Jesus as my Lord and savior in a Baptist church in MS. Prior to that day, my opinion of Christians was that they were weak minded fools who lacked the strength to make it through the day without falling back on their God.

Now I know that I was the fool and I regret the time I lost walking with Him. He worked a miraculous change in my life. Forgive me Lord where I fail you. And Lord I ask that You would open the eyes of those who seek You so that they may know You. Amen

It is humbling to meet God.

7. Member
    My mother was baptized Episcopal I believe. When she moved to Hanover County, Virginia as a teen there wasn't an Episcopal Church in the neighborhood so she attended the Baptist Church down the road a bit. To tell the truth I never thought to ask if she ever converted or anything. I do remember her saying she didn't see where there was any difference in the water from the Jordan River, and plain old Black Creek water, so she may have been baptized as a Baptist but I can't swear to that. She was active in the church, teaching Sunday and Bible School, so she probably was. As for my father, I really don't know. He was more or less what we called a "Christer." Went to church for Christmas and Easter, or if one of us kids were doing something important, like joining the church, or being baptized. I asked my older sister about it once, and she assured me that Daddy was saved. I pray she's right.

We kids got "dragged" to Church almost every Sunday. No amount of "weeping, moaning, or gnashing of teeth" (one of my mothers favorite expressions) was enough to change that. We WERE going. There'd be a fight for a couple of hours while everyone got dressed, (my mother, eventually four sisters, and me, with one bathroom). I wasn't too much trouble I suppose, but as the girls got older, it got harder and harder. One episode of drama after another. Eventually we'd all get herded to the car and Daddy would take us to the church, where he'd drop us off, and head out to his garden or whatever side job he was working that day.

It must have worked at least to plant a seed.

8. Banned
    Grandbassslayer your story would be interesting.
    Last edited by rexico; 03-06-2021 at 07:05 AM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rexico View Post
    Grandbass your story would be interesting.
    <LOL> My wife, a Milwaukee/Chicago girl says the same thing. I guess I grew up in the last carefree generation. My story would be a lot like Robert Ruark's "The Old Man and the Boy" books.

Fishing rods, old wooden boats, shotguns, and metal detectors (I grew up in Hanover County, Virginia, the site of two major battles of the Civil War.) There were bullets, buttons, belt buckles, cartridge-box plates, and who knows how many Indian arrowheads to be found. I guess looking back at it, we didn't have many dull days.

Opppss....Sorry. Posting when half asleep. I read that as CajunBass. My mistake. Talk among yourselves. Nothing to see here.
    Last edited by CajunBass; 03-07-2021 at 07:08 AM.

10. Member
    I was raised catholic. I attended church regularly due to our parents sending us to catholic elementary-high school, but our parents didn't really follow up on attending church. (though my grandma was and still is intense about us attending church)

Most of my life I believed in God, but had no real relationship with him. It wasn't until about 1 year ago when I attended a church called Eagle Brook in Minnesota that I found my relationship with God and now I attend church weekly and have experienced great joy in making God the center of my life and my families life. I only wish my eyes would have opened sooner because I'm a better man today than I have ever been.

11. Member
    Both my parents were Catholic and we were raised Catholic. Attended Catholic school. Somewhere along the line I was influenced by a friend to start reading my Bible and it opened up a new world to me. Before I had never really questioned much of anything, just believed. Reading my Bible has made me establish a personal relationship with Jesus. I know He has authority over me and watches over me, That the shedding of His blood has redeemed me. I am humbled, grateful and seek forgiveness often for my misgivings which are plenty. Blessed beyond belief and amazed that He continues to do so.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rexico View Post
    Grandbassslayer your story would be interesting.
    Raised in church for the most part, and thought I was a Christian for most of my life because I prayed the "sinners prayer" Realized later in life what reconciliation with God is and the fact that I needed to believe that Jesus did it all for me. Attend a southern baptist church for quite a while now. Still a no good dirty scoundrel with plenty of faults but thank God for the sacrifice of his Son.

Mom was a cradle Catholic, Dad was a convert. Went thru a Catholic School till 9 grade. School only went to 8 grades. Wife is a convert. Went to church with parents growing up.

Early life...you could label me as a lukewarm Catholic. Went every Sunday just to check on my insurance policy. To be honest...all my life I was interest in nothing but SELF.

Then 2014 something happened that changed my life and our family forever....
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world