Steel cases vs brass cases

I recently purchased a new 9mm Canik tp9 sf handgun, and at the time I new ammo was in short supply, it turns out there is more of it out there than I had thought on the internet for sale thru various vendors, but a big majority of it is steel case. Having years of experience with brass cases mostly rifles, but zero experience with steel case ammo leads me here to see what other peoples opinions are for steel vs brass cases. Please explain you response pros and cons.
    Last edited by muddywaters; 03-04-2021 at 03:27 PM.
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

Steel is stronger, but steel will corrode easier, so I think they wax them, this can lead to jams. Shoot it up
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    My neighbor gifted me 1800 rounds of Wolf 9mm last year. While I prefer brass I wasn't about to turn it down so I fed it through my Glock 48 and Shield. It ran just fine. Had a few rounds that sounded and felt lighter than others but still put holes in the target.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

4. Member
    The steel cases are not reloadable but go bang when I shoot them. Bottom line for me is they are better than nothing. I only shoot them in my AR15 and then just for casual shooting.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

5. Member
    If you had to, you can reload steel case. Some people do it on a regular basis but that is silly considering 9mm brass is practically free. Now on some of the Oddball sizes, people get custom dies and convert from Berdan to boxer primers and get 2-3 uses out of steel.

As far as shooting in your gun, if you have a modern gun that won't run steel case you need to revaluate if you need that gun in your life. People put together and buy craptastic AR's that can't run steel case and blame it on the Ammo, friends, it is not the ammo, it is lowest bidder crappy tolerance guns!!!

There is a bad batch of ammo from time to time, Red Army standard which is usually solid had a few lots that didn't feed well in the past year on a couple of calibers, not 9mm though.

6. Member
    Thanks, I had read that steel was just a little more dirty due to it not sealing of the chamber as well as brass does, that's just what I had heard.
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

In my experience, and this may not be true of all steel, but the steel that I have bought in the past was lower end ammo at a cheaper price. It always went bang for me, but I do feel like it is almost always dirtier than the brass. I don't think it has anything to do with sealing the chamber, just lower quality product. I have heard some stuff about some of that lower end stuff being more corrosive to the gun so I would just make sure to clean the gun after shooting. I've never had an issue and if that was my only choice, I would buy it especially just for plinking around.

We have at least one indoor range here that will not let you shoot it but that has to do with them picking it up and reselling it back to customers. Not how it shoots. So you might want to check on that if you shot at a range.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Never an issue with steel cased ammo. I've fired a couple of K's through my firearms. One review I read some time ago was that it wears on the extractor but it took 20K rounds + to wear it out. The savings on buying steel case opposed to brass would buy a new gun easily or a dozen extractors or so.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    If you had to, you can reload steel case. Some people do it on a regular basis but that is silly considering 9mm brass is practically free. Now on some of the Oddball sizes, people get custom dies and convert from Berdan to boxer primers and get 2-3 uses out of steel.

As far as shooting in your gun, if you have a modern gun that won't run steel case you need to revaluate if you need that gun in your life. People put together and buy craptastic AR's that can't run steel case and blame it on the Ammo, friends, it is not the ammo, it is lowest bidder crappy tolerance guns!!!

There is a bad batch of ammo from time to time, Red Army standard which is usually solid had a few lots that didn't feed well in the past year on a couple of calibers, not 9mm though.
    It is my understanding that steel cases do not maintain correct neck tension when reloaded. If I am wrong it will not be the first time. No one I know reloads them.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

11. Member
    You can very much reload steel casings. Now you will probably only get between 3 or 5 reloads. The main difference is that some steel cases will use a different primer. It takes some work but you can find berdan primers. You can also use the boxer primer with some alterations. It takes s little more force to resize and getting the old primers out is a little time consuming. Steel cases that use boxer primers reload just like regular brass.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.