Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Banned
    From Forbes "The arctic weather hammering parts of the country should be a cold slap of reality. Eighty per cent of our energy comes from natural gas, oil and coal. We need all of our current energy sources.
    Here’s one example why a no-fossil-fuel approach is absolutely unrealistic. A natural gas turbine the size of a typical residential house can supply electricity for 75,000 homes. To create a similar amount of juice from wind requires 20 turbines, each the size of the Washington monument, and occupying 10 square miles of land. To build such a wind farm requires 30,000 tons of iron ore, 50,000 tons of concrete and 900 tons of nonrecyclable plastics for the huge blades."
    "It took 14 years and roughly $2.3 trillion for the US economy to become self-sufficient in crude oil in Figure 1. How long would it take the world to change an $87 trillion economy from oil and gas to renewables? The answer is 530 years. Although this is simplistic, the calculation does convey that changing the world to renewables will be difficult and will take a lot longer than 30 years until the year 2050."

2. Member
    Let's just ban bass boats. They cause extreme erosion, fossil fuels are used to make the materials for the boats, they burn a lot of gas and use a lot of oil. Any type of battery used for trolling motor or the outboard results in pollution during their manufacturing. Pulling a boats results in lower mpg thus using more fuel. They are loud when running and add the noise pollution. Dont forget those mean people in the boat are putting metal hooks through the fish lips causing extreme pain.

My point one day they will come for you. When they do it will be to late. Save the environment what a joke when we kill so many babies and wars.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxmike View Post
    So most Lithium comes from China? What could possibably go wrong there??
    Maybe held hostage? If our government fleet is mandated to be all electric vehicles and China owns the batteries and we go to war, then what?

4. Member
    To my way of thinking, we have a lot of people in positions of power who want to change the world, but to borrow from one of my UT Ag professors, "Don't have the first of idea of how it works."

To survive, we all need food, water, and shelter. To provide food water and shelter we have to have transportation. Reliable transportation. That transportation requires fuel. Oil and Gas. Electricity at current status can not possibly fill that need. Then there are all the other things needed. Something has to run the machines that plant and harvest food. Something has to run the plants that process the food and package it. Something has to run the warehouses, the stores, the homes that the food sits in being that nobody I know or you know buys food daily. To build a home requires all sorts of materials. Plastics, wood, shingles which are tar based. Plastics and tar are oil based products. Homes, businesses need copper, iron, steel, and all sorts of other metals. Your electric car would be in sad shape if there weren't aluminum wires bringing electric from the plant to you and copper wires transmitting it within your home or business to the gizmo that charges the car.

I don't understand how people can think Oil, gas, coal, plastics, timber, metals, etc are optional things to have. They most certainly are necessities. The idiotic idea of stopping the oil pipeline that would have made this country energy independent is just plain dumb. Stopping fracking, plain dumb. Complaining about GMO plants that have allowed us to go from producing 50 bushels of Corn per acre to 130 bushels and more so that 1% of the population can feed the other 99% is idiotic. Go out here and sit along the interstate and count trucks for an hour. You'll probably get in excess of 500 trucks passing you an hour. That goes on most of the day here. Trucks hauling what we need to survive and they operate on Diesel Fuel and need oil and grease and other oil based products to run. Yet there are people wanting to do away with them or limit them or cause parts to be put on them that make them more expensive to operate and harder to maintain.

It's the same as complaining about the illegal Mexican labor force. There is a reason it's here. The reason is Americans won't work and they will. We have jobs to get done in order to survive that we would rather starve to death than to do. Go into a chicken processing place with 400 employees running around and you can probably count the Americans working there on your 2 hands. The rest are Mexican. Without them, we would literally starve out for lack of food.

It seems to me that Leaders would be compiling lists of how much electric, how much fuel, how much corn, how much beans, how much beef, how much labor we need to provide for 320 million people and work at fulfilling those needs. We aren't doing that. We are worried to death about a plastic potato, a child's book, and a soft drink advertisement. In the mean time, walk into Walmart today with a dozen things on your list and I guarantee at least 3 of those things you will find out of stock because they can't be found. I need a fitting on my truck that's out of stock and not expected to be available for 4 weeks. If we keep up with this stupidity we are going to be a 3rd world place out of stuff and struggling to be fed and stay warm at night.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    In order to be "Carbon Neutral" the city has voted to ban the building, remodeling or refitting of gas stations in order to encourage people to go to electric cars.

Question: How much energy is expended to mine enough Lithium to manufacture the battery in one of those cars?
    Are they removing existing pumps? Nope, just the latest manufactured “outrage”.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Tanks and pumps that are old or don't cut the mustard per code anymore do need to be replaced from time to time. No permit for repairs or new stations? What's so hard to understand?

7. Member
    I have an old truck. It doesn't run on wishes. I'm 78. I buy my stuff cash. It would take all my savings to buy a new electric truck, not counting how will I charge it at my 1970's house?
    I'm not gonna. This thread is gonna get shut down anyhow.

The U.S. could go 100% completely green / renewable energy tomorrow and the net effect on the world would be too small to measure.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    The U.S. could go 100% completely green / renewable energy tomorrow and the net effect on the world would be too small to measure.
    Fact!

10. Banned
    Being long sited must make everyone so stupid that we decided to be short sited

11. Banned
    This one won't go over well...

12. Member
    Truth

Yup, our footprint has improved big time they need to start worrying about the othe countries.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Or just the latest manufactured "virtue signaling".

15. Banned
    FIFY.

Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    Maybe held hostage? If our government fleet is mandated to be all electric vehicles and Communist China owns the batteries and we go to war, then what?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    Truth
    Very true.

I’m all in favor of green energy, AS LONG AS the transition is driven by the free market.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I’m all in favor of green energy, AS LONG AS the transition is driven by the free market.

The only sensible solution.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    That's the only way that it will work. Sensible

20. Member
    Well good news is I never want to and never will visit the state of California. Lol.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast