New alternator only putting out a little over 11volts...

I recently bought a new alternator thinking it would fix my low voltage problem. I own a 2012 Mercury Pro XS 115 2 stroke. I installed the alternator and the battery is still not charging. I also replaced the fuselink as it had gone bad. Not sure what else to check or do.

Post your questions here, be sure to include the seriel number. http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8

3. Member
    At idle or revved up?

4. Member
    Revved up

Did you top your battery off before you started it with the new alternator?
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

6. Member
    Is the alternator a OEM one from Mercury?

7. Member
    Where are you measuring the voltage reading? Unless you are measuring at the engine, you might be getting a false reading of the alternators voltage due to inadequate wiring or connections...or even a faulty volt meter.

8. Member
    I just went through the same issue testing my alternator on a 2014 ProXS 225. I went back and forth in the Mercury section maybe a month or so ago. I thought I had a bad alternator too. The alternator will vary how many volts/amps it puts out based on the load and not necessarily the RPMs. Check your amps & volts while trimming your motor up and down. It will sense the load and change its output based on the load. I did that and compared my numbers to the specs in the manual and luckily my alternator was good. I was thinking it was bad because it wasn’t putting out the “correct” numbers. You should also get the correct numbers if your battery isn’t 100% charged. The alternator will try to “top” it off and should put out the correct amperage/volts.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike