Thumbs Up I really love the spider jig

Got out last Sunday (Feb 28th) for my first open water trip of the season. Last trip out was on January 17th too actually thanks to a lot of LONG drives down into Connecticut (180 miles one way to Candlewood). Thankfully we only had to drive 120 miles to Cape Cod for this trip. Totally worth the time and effort to be out in my boat so early in the season.

As usual, year in and year out, that spider jig put the first fish in the boat for me. I have finally found a love for the jerkbait and I have a ton of confidence in it now, but it still isn't close to my confidence in dragging a spider jig in cold water. I keep it simple, black with blue flake on a 3/8 oz head. Works wonders all year long, but that color combo is so consistently good for me in cold water, it's nuts. Only got the one, but it was a great start to the season. Only going to get better from here!

2. Member
    A five week off-season?? probably barely caught up on your sleep!

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    A five week off-season?? probably barely caught up on your sleep!
    Close, 6 weeks off. And no, didn't even come close to catching up.

Which pond did you go to?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Which pond did you go to?
    Sending PM

6. Member
    Nice.

Oh to be young again when I had to fish somewhere no matter the date or weather. 3/16 ballhead and a spider was my go to for years in the spring fishing outside weedlines. Now I can't buy a bite. Still drag the spider weightless over pads in shallow coves. Deadly any time of year. Started using them last year weightless on braid with a shorter spinning rod for skipping docks. Perfect combo.