Fuel/Water separator filter replacement

2B770925 2020 mercury 250 4 stroke. Is there a trick to getting the fuel lines released? I followed the mercury suggested procedure of compressing the blue line locks but my fat fingers can't seem to pull the lines free. It would be the first time filter was changed with 50 hrs on motor. Not much room to work inside the cowling. Is there a special line releasing tool? Thanks

2. Member
    Following

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The line that is most accessible is not too bad to get loose before rotating and removing the filter from the lower lock/grommet.

Depress the tab with a flat-blade screwdriver, and while it is depressed, twist/pull the line from the filter.

Remove the second line after pulling the filter partially out (at least that's what I've found easiest).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thank You Don will give it a try.

5. Member
    I watched the Mercury Marine youtube video on what I think is the same motor as you have.....maybe I'm wrong, it is not very detailed. However, I just wanted to point out that the fuel line connector release tabs are red, not blue like you said in your original post. So respectfully making sure you are in the right spot. Not aiming to offend you, just pointing out that you referred to blue connectors, and they appear red in the video (and on my motor as well).

2015 Tracker Targa V18 150 4-Stroke 2B142247 9.9 EFI Pro Kicker 1R159535
    2001 MasterCraft Maristar 210 V-Drive, LTR 330 HP

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^^ Kevin (in the above video) is a sharp fellow. Nice, straightforward and to the point tutorial.

Good catch on the red-tabs (I merely presumed gaston13 was doing it in dim lighting). Definitely need to make sure you're on the red-tab lines at the FUEL FILTER.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Yes sir I got it done with the tip about using a small screwdriver to push in the red tabs. Still very tight in there and I suggest using a small amount of 2-4-C on the filter base also to make the counter clockwise lock in go easier.