I Pilot Disconnected

Running 2 birds on dash, one on bow, all networked. Have Ultrex with I pilot link. Subscribed to Ultrex GPS and HS for bow units. Lately when running I get random pop ups on console units "I pilot disconnected"," I pilot connected" repeatedly. Console units are not subscribed to Ultrex GPS & HS, they are subscribed to external GPS puck @ splashwell. Last week tried to set a way point on M360 and couldn't. Went to network settings and I pilot was unavailable. Have checked all ethernet connections under the bow panel and re assigned nodes on hub. Still an intermittent problem! Is there a short patch cable from Ultrex to my ethernet cable under my bow panel. Can the Ultrex be causing this issue.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

2. Member
    There's only the short ethernet cable that extends from the TM head (hard wired internally to TM) that attaches to the 30' ethernet extension cable. The 30' cable would attach to the Ethernet Switch. Sounds like the Ultrex cycling on/off and related to a power problem. Maybe a loose connection on the power switch? Even though the console units aren't using the TM as GPS/Heading source, they are networked with the Ultrex which is why I believe you're getting those pop-ups.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    There's only the short ethernet cable that extends from the TM head (hard wired internally to TM) that attaches to the 30' ethernet extension cable. The 30' cable would attach to the Ethernet Switch. Sounds like the Ultrex cycling on/off and related to a power problem. Maybe a loose connection on the power switch? Even though the console units aren't using the TM as GPS/Heading source, they are networked with the Ultrex which is why I believe you're getting those pop-ups.

Thank you very much for your input. Have also taken the bottom plate of UltreX TM pedal and check the power spade connections there, they are secure. Am thinking the short ethernet cable or Ultrex is the issue.. Also, TM would spot lock when I pilot unavailable on network??
    Last edited by electritek; 03-03-2021 at 11:31 PM.

3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

4. Member
    Also, check to make sure your i Pilot cable was not pinched by the MinnKota Ultrex.

5. Member
    If it is spot-locking with no problems and power good, then I would look at the ethernet cable and connections back from the hub to TM. Make sure cables aren't pinched and connections tight. Beyond that, would need to get the TM checked.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

6. Member
    I have the same issue, notice it mainly when starting the motor. I am planning to rewire to panel on heavier gauge wire. I believe issue is a voltage drop problem

7. Member
    OP, when running you have the most severe vibration. You have a bad connection somewhere in the network or a poor electrical connection. I would start with the ethernet pieces first. Your helix has 2 connections for Ethernet. one on each end of the ethernet adapter, the other end of the enet cable at the Enet switch. Momentary loss of power for the switch will kill the connection with ipilot as well. Unscrew and reconnect all the screw on enet connections. If it persists the start wading through connections(power source and plugs) starting with the ethernet switch. More than likely the ethernet connections. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    OP, when running you have the most severe vibration. You have a bad connection somewhere in the network or a poor electrical connection. I would start with the ethernet pieces first. Your helix has 2 connections for Ethernet. one on each end of the ethernet adapter, the other end of the enet cable at the Enet switch. Momentary loss of power for the switch will kill the connection with ipilot as well. Unscrew and reconnect all the screw on enet connections. If it persists the start wading through connections(power source and plugs) starting with the ethernet switch. More than likely the ethernet connections. JMO Bob
    Am in the process of going through each and every one now. I think my I pilot goes directly to my hub and all helix units source it from network, is this not correct.
    Last edited by electritek; 03-05-2021 at 08:19 PM.

9. Member
    If something is wrong with the Ethernet connections or power connections in the electronics (ipilot stuff) yes. Most likely to be an Ethernet connection. Bob

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Am in the process of going through each and every one now. I think my I pilot goes directly to my hub and all helix units source it from network, is this not correct.
    If all your graphs are networked then the Link has to be connected to the Ethernet Switch. Should be 4 connections on the switch.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

Am thinking TM is the culprit was out today and spot locked. Checked network connection and showed I pilot "no fix" Blue Bird sky, all other GPS sources had great fix.

Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Am thinking TM is the culprit was out today and spot locked. Checked network connection and showed I pilot "no fix" Blue Bird sky, all other GPS sources had great fix.
    Swap the cables around on the Ethernet Switch so see if the Switch is the issue.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    Actually you have to have a GPS Fix to spotlock. No fix no spotlock. Like Wayne says it is a communication problem on Ethernet. Bob