Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USA Sick and tired of inner tire wear!

2012 Cougar FTD.
    This is an issue that really needs to be addressed. Had serious inner tire wear issues so forked out the money for two brand new full axles with carriers. Bought all new GY Endurance tires and always run correct tire pressure. Carrier bolts have been upgraded to grade 8 and are torqued to spec. Tires probably have 10,000 miles and already have to replace two of them due to horrible inner tire wear. These hubs just do not hold up to the weight of these boats plain and simple. I can see with my own eyes that they camber in. Everything is tight and there is no play. What gives?
    Have read that in 2012 BC had alot of trailer issues so what's the solution other than wrap this thing around a tree and call it good?

2. Member
    I too had the same issues. It was either bent axle of bent spindles. My spindles were loose every trip. I bit the bullet and ordered 2 new axles and 4 end units. I have somewhere between 8-10k miles and everything looks good. I have checked the spindles about every month and they have been tight. I think that if they ever get loose they damage and wear the teeth and will never be right. Unfortunately it took a while for this issue to show itself and by that time it is too late. It cost me but I am glad I did it for peace of mind.

If you have any other questions I will try and help.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

3. Member
    My axles and spindles (teeth are fine) Since I installed them new I have checked them every few trips and they have never been loose. That is why it's so frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by tanker4lyfe View Post
    2012 Cougar FTD.
    This is an issue that really needs to be addressed. Had serious inner tire wear issues so forked out the money for two brand new full axles with carriers. Bought all new GY Endurance tires and always run correct tire pressure. Carrier bolts have been upgraded to grade 8 and are torqued to spec. Tires probably have 10,000 miles and already have to replace two of them due to horrible inner tire wear. These hubs just do not hold up to the weight of these boats plain and simple. I can see with my own eyes that they camber in. Everything is tight and there is no play. What gives?
    Have read that in 2012 BC had alot of trailer issues so what's the solution other than wrap this thing around a tree and call it good?
    Take it to a reliable trailer shop that does trailer alignments. They will determine what is wrong. Sounds like something is bent or misaligned.

Might not be your answer. I had this issue in a single axle Champion and after I had new tires put on I had them balanced and was good to go. No issues after.

Yes, this is the answer. The axle splined shafts are likely bent and the idlers accentuate that amount of bend, behind further out and multiple angles on parts makes the bend exponential.

Also, it is possible to bend the actual axle, resetting the caster and camber. Most don’t have access to I beam benders used on big truck steer axles and small vehicles just don’t have I beam steer axles requiring that equipment today. If you have a truck shop it’s worth a visit.

While everyone wants them, there are multiple times we have expressed our dissatisfaction with torsion axles. When you hit something the forces on parts are multiplied and the axles are weaker with the bends and angles of parts. It’s just geometry and how it all works.

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    I too had the same issues. It was either bent axle of bent spindles. My spindles were loose every trip. I bit the bullet and ordered 2 new axles and 4 end units. I have somewhere between 8-10k miles and everything looks good. I have checked the spindles about every month and they have been tight. I think that if they ever get loose they damage and wear the teeth and will never be right. Unfortunately it took a while for this issue to show itself and by that time it is too late. It cost me but I am glad I did it for peace of mind.

If you have any other questions I will try and help.

7. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Take it to a big truck shop that does alignment on semi tractors. They will figure out the issue. I had the same issue you have with a trailer that came with a Venture I had back in the 80's. The issue began almost right away after I bought the boat new. The truck alignment shop found the axle was bent in 3 places. They straightened it out and it was fine there after.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

8. Member
    Question for BCB.
    Can you order a trailer with leaf springs instead of torsion axles?

9. Member
    I'm having the same issue and don't know where to start. Mine was built in the fall of '12. It seems like the hub over the spline loosens and I have to take the wheels off monthly to tighten. I've been through 4 sets of tires it's real p.i.a . Any relationship to the manufacturing time? Can it be fixed and what's needed? Love the boat...hate the trailer.

Hate the axles would be a more appropriate term.

are you the original owner?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Hate the axles would be a more appropriate term.

are you the original owner?
    Not the original owner but have all new parts on this trailer. I have never curbed it or anything else abnormal. Just extremely frustrating. This should not happen with a quality trailer.

New axles also?

Quote Originally Posted by tanker4lyfe View Post
    Not the original owner but have all new parts on this trailer. I have never curbed it or anything else abnormal. Just extremely frustrating. This should not happen with a quality trailer.
    Sorry to read about this. Been down the same road you’re on concerning a 2015 trailer. Yes, one can hate a trailer.

Well, add me to the completely frustrated list. I would love to know just who is clamoring for torsion axles. My previous boat had spring axles and I never had one thought about them for the 13 years I owned it and I dragged that boat all over the middle of the country from LOTW Ontario to Falcon Lake.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

15. Member
    I am the original owner. I'd appreciate any advice on how to rule out potential causes. Thanks

TNTroy,

then we assume the axles have not been replaced, though running gear has.

17. Member
    New axles also?
    Yes

18. Member
    New axles also?
    I don’t mean to butt in, but it’s in the original post.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

1781ccT,
    Yes, though some people assume the idlers are axles also, when the axle extends across the entire frame underneath. We’ve seldom seen axles replaced and often that’s where the wear and bent part is. We want to be clear that the axle as well as parts are all new, then we can work to address this issue.

20. Member
    1781ccT,
    Yes, though some people assume the idlers are axles also, when the axle extends across the entire frame underneath. We’ve seldom seen axles replaced and often that’s where the wear and bent part is. We want to be clear that the axle as well as parts are all new, then we can work to address this issue.
    Yes everything is new. Purchased the axles from you guys in April of 2018.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast