Brand new 250 Pro XS - wont trim all the way up when running

Hey Guys, I picked up my new boat a month ago, and for whatever reason it just started not trimming all the way up on plane. when idling, its fine, but when running, it will only trim up about 1/2 way and I can only go about 63 MPH (was 75 before this started happening). I did trim it all the way up and got it on plane and it started studdering. Anyone know what this could be?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishforbass View Post
    Hey Guys, I picked up my new boat a month ago, and for whatever reason it just started not trimming all the way up on plane. when idling, its fine, but when running, it will only trim up about 1/2 way and I can only go about 63 MPH (was 75 before this started happening). I did trim it all the way up and got it on plane and it started studdering. Anyone know what this could be?
    Call who ever you bought it from,After all It's brand new

3. Member
    Read the manual, Trim has build in stop point.
    Last edited by 5keepers2; 03-05-2021 at 01:08 PM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Call who ever you bought it from,After all It's brand new
    Its at the shop. No codes. Just figured if it was something someone experienced I could tell the mechanic.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    Read the manual, Trim gas build in stop point.
    Read the manual? Im pretty sure it doesn't explain why a motor would, all of sudden, stop trimming all of the way up. It was fine a week ago.

6. Member
    My new Merc 225 Pro XS 4-stroke motor is in the already shop with a bad trim pump. Five hrs on it. Mechanic said he's replaced a ton of these on the new 4-strokes. Gotta be a bunch of bad units from whoever makes these for Mercury. Mine was leaking oil.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    My new Merc 225 Pro XS 4-stroke motor is in the already shop with a bad trim pump. Five hrs on it. Mechanic said he's replaced a ton of these on the new 4-strokes. Gotta be a bunch of bad units from whoever makes these for Mercury. Mine was leaking oil.
    Was your trim working fine when not running?

8. mikesxpress
    If there were "a bunch of them" Mercury would issue a TSB.

9. Member
    Was your trim working fine when not running?
    It was working fine the 5 hrs I've had it out on the water. Boat was in the shop to replace batteries. Left overnight to charge them up and found the leak the next morning.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    If there were "a bunch of them" Mercury would issue a TSB.
    I would think so as well.

11. Member
    Read the manual? Im pretty sure it doesn't explain why a motor would, all of sudden, stop trimming all of the way up. It was fine a week ago.
    under power mine trims only so far and stops.......not under power it will tilt full up or full down. under power it has set point it will not exceed. the trim to limit.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There are TILT limits and TRIM LIMITS set within the PCM of the engine. These can be reset "up to a maximum permitted percentage".

Try this: Make certain that you have adequate clearance to trim the engine ALL THE WAY DOWN.

When it reaches the DOWN position, HOLD THE DOWN BUTTON ACTIVE FOR FOUR (4) SECONDS... "One thousand one, one thousand two...." (Stalling the trim against it's down position).

If you still have difficulties after that, you will need to get it in to your dealer to have it checked.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout
    I've not had to replace even one (yet)... so I'm not sure why you're being told something like that. At any rate, it's not related to the engine in this thread.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Any solution found OP?

14. Member
    Does anyone have a picture of where this screw is so we can all check it on our engines?
    2021 Ranger 620FS Cup Edition / Mercury Pro XS 250
    1999 Ranger 620VS / 2015 Yamaha F200

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes- but they're not all the same.

While several of the above stories may be similar or even identical, this is a perfect example of why ONE engine per thread (only) is part of the Forum Announcements (guidelines). It's one thing to say "I had something similar happen on my engine"... but a whole different thing to post a paragraph (or more) of details.

Please be mindful of this when posting.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    There are TILT limits and TRIM LIMITS set within the PCM of the engine. These can be reset "up to a maximum permitted percentage".

Try this: Make certain that you have adequate clearance to trim the engine ALL THE WAY DOWN.

When it reaches the DOWN position, HOLD THE DOWN BUTTON ACTIVE FOR FOUR (4) SECONDS... "One thousand one, one thousand two...." (Stalling the trim against it's down position).

If you still have difficulties after that, you will need to get it in to your dealer to have it checked.

I've not had to replace even one (yet)... so I'm not sure why you're being told something like that. At any rate, it's not related to the engine in this thread.
    sorry to dig up an old thread but would this work with a 2019 150 pro xs 4 stroke? I’m having trouble getting my bow to lift and it seems like I can’t trim the motor up enough before the trim hits it’s limit.

thanks

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Would not hurt to try it, since you have a digital sensor on that engine. If you need further assistance, PLEASE open your own (separate) post, and provide the required engine info (serial number). Thanks!