Thread: Sheds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sheds

We are considering putting a shed by our house. We also are going to rock in the area with river rock. Would you put a shed on river rock.

2. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    nope................

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

3. Fishing is a Passion
    No
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

Double no
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

5. Member
    You put a shed on compacted granular and then concrete. You can then put river rock around it for decoration.

6. Member
    River rock is rounded. It never stops moving. Not good for stability.

If it's a production shed it will more than likely be framed on 4x4 skids. The shed company will probably recommend 4" of compacted 2b stone to put the shed on. You can always skirt around the shed with river rock for decoration.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

8. Banned
    Maybe it’s the time of year, but I was thinking deer antlers when I clicked.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishfinger View Post
    Me too!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haha View Post
    If it's a production shed it will more than likely be framed on 4x4 skids. The shed company will probably recommend 4" of compacted 2b stone to put the shed on. You can always skirt around the shed with river rock for decoration.
    We always found that minus 2 gravel is better than any of the stone choices with the possible exception of crusher dust. A layer of stone around the outside not only looks better but it reduces splashing along the dripline. A drawback to stone is that it makes great ammo for the lawnmower.

11. Member
    exactly what I thought! Neighbor just found a nice set on our property Sunday

12. Member
    x2

I did the compacted crushed stone, ended up putting it on pavers on top of the crushed stone. There was too much setting with just stone, with the pavers I can jack and adjust with shims to keep it all level. Too much freezing and thawing seemed move the level around on the crushed stone, then it was hard to correct. The pavers at least allowed the ability to shim. I used the rectangle pavers and stacked 2 high, rotating the second course 180. Reason: the door came out of square and was hard to close, so I had to figure something out.

14. Member
    The last shed I had built we didn’t level the ground at all. The builder sunk four 4x4 post then framed the level floor with 2x6 off those post as close to the ground as they could. They put block down under the frame as they built it, topped that off with 3/4” advantech for the floor. The whole shed was stick built. They built the ramp long enough to get my mower in. I had 3/4” floored lofts on either side of the rolling door entrance. That cost me about 5K five years ago. It was 198 square feet so I didn’t have to pull permits, wait on inspections etc... We sold the house three years ago. A friend lives next door so I see it all the time, still looks like they day it was built.

You can spend a bunch on prepping the ground alone.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    I did the compacted crushed stone, ended up putting it on pavers on top of the crushed stone. There was too much setting with just stone, with the pavers I can jack and adjust with shims to keep it all level. Too much freezing and thawing seemed move the level around on the crushed stone, then it was hard to correct. The pavers at least allowed the ability to shim. I used the rectangle pavers and stacked 2 high, rotating the second course 180. Reason: the door came out of square and was hard to close, so I had to figure something out.
    Exactly. That's why we would always recommend gravel. Stone drains better but it never really compacts and stays put

I was thinking deer antlers too. would not put a shed on river rock.

17. Member
    I also
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

18. Member
    It looks like many of us thought this.

19. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Antlers were my first thought; this 2013 classic was my second...

Shed of Doom is One of the Funniest Memes Online and I Wonder Will it Ever be Finished (theawesomedaily.com)

The original thread, "Build to Fail, Fail to Build" can be seen here; you'll need to create a membership to read it (well worth it).

BC Sport Bikes Forum
    Who controls John Gill?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast