Optimax 150 Cold Weather Sluggish Start

On cold mornings, first start of the day is super sluggish. Sometimes doesn't start first try. Battery is dated 5/20. After that first start it does great the rest of the day.. but that first one is always real weak. Onboard charger always plugged in and charging. What gives?

Serial Number 1B934817

2. Member
    Mine has done the exact same thing since day 1, even gives the low voltage alarm when starting (or whatever it is) Always starts sluggish, I let her warm-up a minute before backing off the trailer and idle over to the docks. Make sure the thermostats cycle before walking to the truck to park it. After that 1st sluggish start I have zero issues so I just quit worrying about it. I keep a jumper box on board just in case but never needed it.

3. Member
    what is batt brand and CCA/MCA of batt possibly not enough amps there
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    Cheapo walmart everstart. Same CCA that was on it when I replaced it the first time.

5. Member
    FYI, I bought the x2 from batteries plus that cost 425 bucks and more than meets all the requirements just to resolve the slow start. To no avail, my 175 pro Xs still starts slow on the first start of the day. And it’s much more noticeable on the real cold mornings. It rips right off every time after the first start. Just something to get used too.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    Mine is an interstate with 1000 CCA, meets Merc specs just fine. Even tried putting it in a train with another similar battery (pos to pos- neg to neg so still 12V not 24V) thinking I was dropping volts. It did nothing.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brady01 View Post
    Cheapo walmart everstart. Same CCA that was on it when I replaced it the first time.
    Which is what?

My Optimax was slow starting only one time since new and with the dealer installed 800CCA wet cell 3 years old, replaced it with a gp31 AGM in 2012 and have never had that issue again.

Remember also, connections, battery switches, terminal stacking order, and more can all cause or contribute to slow starting. In a fishing application, the Optimax really needs MORE battery capacity than engine only minimum 800CCA.

For battery options, this is an excellent resource - "BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS"
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Which is what?

My Optimax was slow starting only one time since new and with the dealer installed 800CCA wet cell 3 years old, replaced it with a gp31 AGM in 2012 and have never had that issue again.

Remember also, connections, battery switches, terminal stacking order, and more can all cause or contribute to slow starting. In a fishing application, the Optimax really needs MORE battery capacity than engine only minimum 800CCA.

For battery options, this is an excellent resource - "BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS"

^^^^^ Good advice!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor