Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ran my new max 5 today

Ok I have a 2020 21 SDC, 300R with 160 Sporty, I have ran Bravo 1xs 27 and 28 , Pro Tech 5 blade 26 , Pro Max 25.5 , and now a Max 5 25. Today it was just me and a quarter tank of fuel, had a good hole shot, top speed was 82, I think rpms were around 6000 - 6100, this is the fastest I have ran with this boat, the Bravo props did pretty much the same but had bad hole shot. I just don't get these guys that are running upper 80's with this same rig, maybe I just do not know how to drive a Bullet, I had it trimmed pretty high, was having to drive it a little, prop was 1 1/2 above pad. Now I really am not interested in running 90 but I would like for my boat to be able to just in case i needed to outrun a tornado or something. I have had the hot foot checked and the tech said i was getting 100 % throttle, if there is someone near me that has a rig like mine I would love for them to run my rig just to see if I do not know what the hell i am doing. Damn I wish I would have ordered the 1.75 sporty.

2. Member
    I don’t think it is your driving as I too came out of a triton and the Bullet is actually easier to drive than my triton was. I had no trouble driving my triton just saying my SDC doesn’t chine as bad as my triton did. I ordered an SDC with a 300R in August 2020 and picked it up in Janaury 2021. I now have 15 hours on it and easily get 87mph (stock 30 Bravo FS). I wish I was closer to you so that you could drive my boat and see how easy it is to get to 85mph. After following your posts from when you first got your boat I am thinking that you are not getting full power. The only difference in our boats is my lower unit is 1.75. I don’t think your issue is the the 1.60 gears because BBCer Chief206 has an XRS with 1.60 gears and gets upper 80s as well. Sorry you are having trouble.

3. Member
    I would think that boat should be faster than that. I run a 21 xrd, I know different boat but same motor with a 31 max5.

Hello happy camper,,, next time your on fork call me!
    I want you to drive my boat. I want to drive yours.
    we have the identical set up. I’m touching 90
    I have a 28 bravo
    Last edited by Chief206; 03-03-2021 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Error on set up

This may be a huge reach,,, saw on another forum here about our motors being overfilled with oil after the 20 hour service .
    (mine was by a quart). I believe they said it didn’t allow full get up !!
    maybe somebody knows more about this.
    seems like Don said that.

It’s on the merc forum. Search overfilled

V6/V8 Fourstroke OIL CAPACITY and OIL LEVEL

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief206 View Post
    Hello happy camper,,, next time your on fork call me!
    I want you to drive my boat. I want to drive yours.
    we have the identical set up. I’m touching 90
    I have a 28 bravo
    I will be on Fork this Saturday, unfortunately it will be with someone else in his boat, I guess i could pull my boat there and just turn you loose in it to see if you could get anything out of it. Sure seems strange that my boat is 6-8 mph slower than all the other boats like mine. I had Sartan Marine check the hotfoot, he said it was good. I would not feel good about driving yours but would have no problem you driving mine.

I’m fishing JC outdoors. I’ll be in my son in laws Allison.
    I won’t have my boat this weekend. Let’s hook up after the tournament!
    you still got my number ?

Anthony put your hotfoot in. He did it correctly, I would bet.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief206 View Post
    I’m fishing JC outdoors. I’ll be in my son in laws Allison.
    I won’t have my boat this weekend. Let’s hook up after the tournament!
    you still got my number ?
    I am fishing TTO, if I decide to pull my boat I will holler at you, good luck in the JC tourney and thanks for the help.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    I am fishing TTO, if I decide to pull my boat I will holler at you, good luck in the JC tourney and thanks for the help.
    Definitely something wrong. I can get 82 in my XRS with a stock 250 ProXS that has close to 600 hours on it.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    Definitely something wrong. I can get 82 in my XRS with a stock 250 ProXS that has close to 600 hours on it.
    I just spoke with a guy that has had many Bullets and a couple of Allisons, he is going to help me with it, he thinks I do not have the engine high enough, I do have a hydraulic plate and had it at 1 1/2 above pad, he said he thought it should be at least 2 above, we are going to go run it maybe next week, will report back.

14. Member
    Hopefully he can get you going in the right direction. I still think you are not getting full power based on my experience and others with the same boat. Again, I easily get to 85mph at only 1/4”-1/2” above pad. Keep us posted on your progression!

15. Member
    not a huge difference, but extra flake in your boat will make a little difference, I would bet my 2004 21 XDC would have run faster than my 2016 21 RDC run if it had this 300XS on it, 93 is the best I've seen so far

16. Member
    By chance do you have 4 graphs? I would think poles and 4 graphs wind resistance would kill topend , before the flash I was running 82 solo stock 250 I don't have poles but have 2 12's .
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by av View Post
    By chance do you have 4 graphs? I would think poles and 4 graphs wind resistance would kill topend , before the flash I was running 82 solo stock 250 I don't have poles but have 2 12's .
    I have stacked 12's on the front and i do have poles.

18. Member
    I’ve heard the 1.60 cases were not running well on some boats. I wonder if this could be part of the issue because I agree this rig should be capable of more with it being loaded.

19. Member
    I have a 30 pitch Bravo you are welcome to try. So far it has run on every boat it's been on. Just let
    me know when you are at Fork other than this weekend, bring your rain suit for this weekend. I too
    have heard that the 160 gears are slow on the bottom end.

We had a lot of issues with one 1.6 case. Not sure if it’s representative of them all or not.

On Bob Sandlin last year when we did our annual Allison XB21 testing marathon. We had so many issues getting the 1.6 to run with the 1.75 case on the 2 seater Allison that we pulled it off the motor and put it on my boat for testing. I spent 2 days trying to get it to run with the 1.75 case. Same results, it just would not run as fast as the 1.75 case.

That was taking into account the pitch difference as I had a lot of props to test with. I compared a 28, 30, and 32 Promax back to back on the 1.6 and 1.75 cases. The 1.6 case wouldn't accelerate or match the top end of the 1.75 case. The 300R with 1.75 running a 32p Promax won every race against the 300R 1.6 running a 28 and 30 Promax. The 28 Promax on the 1.6 case should have out accelerated the 32 Promax on the 1.75 case and it didn't. The 30 on the 1.6 case should have been close and it wasn't. Crazy that a 1.75 spinning a 32 couldn't be touched by the 1.6 case running much smaller props. Again, all this was back to back testing on the same boat with the same load using a racing data logger and software to compare times.

Rex, I even tested my magic 32 P4 that is a copy of yours on the 1.6. It wouldn't even break 100. My 300XS 1.62 was an easy 102 with that prop. Best I could pull was 99 with it. Not impressed with the 1.6.

It seemed like we had to drop down to a 25-26p to get it to accelerate with the 1.75. That stinks because you lose all the top end going that small.
    Last edited by River Rocket; 03-09-2021 at 07:03 AM.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast