Port Lean on a 2007 TR20 HP

Just got a 2007 TR20 HP with a 225 proxs and a 26p tempest.

When I test drove the boat I notice a port lean when getting on plane but would completely disappear once you got the trim up. Based on what I've read online, this is normal.

Now I took it on the water for the first time this weekend and my co-angler weighs about twice as much as I do. The lean was much more noticeable, but again disappeared once I got her trimmed up. The load out was pretty light at the time. Very light tackle and ~1/2 a tank of gas. The setup is as balanced as I can get it, a 31 + 27 batteries on starboard, 2x27s on + a single powerpole on port.

Later in the day we were dealing with some big wake surfers. I trimmed the engine down but when I did, the lean came back. The next wake I tried trimming it just to the point the lean disappeared and it wasn't porpoising but when I hit that wake it felt like I almost got some air. Fun for a single wake but probably not ideal for long runs in rough water.

Now I understand that these boats aren't known for their rough water handling and still want to test out filling up the starboard livewell to help balance the boat, but I thought I would ask if anyone had any advice for handling rough water / planing at low speeds.
    Last edited by outsidesmoke; 03-03-2021 at 02:16 PM. Reason: spelling is hard

2. Member
    I had on 03 TR-186 that would do the same thing. It would lean so bad to the port with 3 people, water would almost come up to the rub-rail. I did a couple of things that got rid of the lean. I got a solid stainless steel tube that was long enough to run through the first holes on the motor bracket. This kept the motor from trimming down all the way. I drilled a hole in each end of the tubing and put a cotter pin and washer on each side to keep the tube from sliding out. This eliminated most of the lean. Before I added the tube, I would trim all the way down then bump my trim switch up 3-4 quick times. I got tired of doing that so I installed the tube. After that, I could just trim it all the way down, the tube would prevent it from "tucking" under too much. The next thing I did completely eliminated the lean. I would start trimming up at the same time as I "floored it". Maybe I shouldn't say "floored it", since I didn't have a Hotfoot, more like "put the hammer down". Ha!! Once I was on plane, I would let off the the trim switch and adjust my jackplate and trim from there. That 1st time with 3 people in the boat and almost taking on water scared the heck out of me. I had never experienced anything like that with any of my boats. I did a lot of experimenting until I figured out what was causing the problem. After that, it never leaned again.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    I had on 03 TR-186 that would do the same thing. It would lean so bad to the port with 3 people, water would almost come up to the rub-rail. I did a couple of things that got rid of the lean. I got a solid stainless steel tube that was long enough to run through the first holes on the motor bracket. This kept the motor from trimming down all the way. I drilled a hole in each end of the tubing and put a cotter pin and washer on each side to keep the tube from sliding out. This eliminated most of the lean. Before I added the tube, I would trim all the way down then bump my trim switch up 3-4 quick times. I got tired of doing that so I installed the tube. After that, I could just trim it all the way down, the tube would prevent it from "tucking" under too much. The next thing I did completely eliminated the lean. I would start trimming up at the same time as I "floored it". Maybe I shouldn't say "floored it", since I didn't have a Hotfoot, more like "put the hammer down". Ha!! Once I was on plane, I would let off the the trim switch and adjust my jackplate and trim from there. That 1st time with 3 people in the boat and almost taking on water scared the heck out of me. I had never experienced anything like that with any of my boats. I did a lot of experimenting until I figured out what was causing the problem. After that, it never leaned again.
    Thanks Mike, I'll play around with the trim level during the hole shot.

The front of the boat was basically empty too, maybe it was so light that it required the engine to be tucked under to keep the bow down...

I'll experiment a bit on the water this weekend and report back.

4. Member
    Mine will lean to either side at low speeds depending on load and/or if I'm turning the boat. It bothered me at first but I'm used to it now.
    2017 TRITON 21 TRX ELITE DC
    2023 250 MERCURY PRO XS
    23 FURY 3
    Z LOCK 10" JACKPLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST 36V
    Garmin 93sv
    Garmin LVS34
    Rite Hite Turret
    HDS 12 GEN 3
    HDS 9 GEN 3

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by outsidesmoke View Post
    Thanks Mike, I'll play around with the trim level during the hole shot.

The front of the boat was basically empty too, maybe it was so light that it required the engine to be tucked under to keep the bow down...

I'll experiment a bit on the water this weekend and report back.
    Even with the solid tube installed in the first hole(closest to the transom), the motor will still “tuck” under some, it just won’t be as pronounced. You need it to “tuck” under some to get the bow down. The bow will want to come up on takeoff on just about every boat. The TR186 has such a deep V, in addition to the rotational torque of the prop, too much “tuck” will tend to drive the hull to one side. Hopefully, trimming it up while taking off will fix your issue like it did with me. Before I starting experimenting, it still leaned to the port with just 2 people too but I wasn’t quite as bad. It was very annoying. Once I did everything I mentioned previously, it never leaned again. The holeshot was so good that the bow barely came up at all. I gave the boat to my nephew several years ago and it still runs great.
    Last edited by Mike2718; 03-05-2021 at 09:15 AM.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike