Thread: Tablet

Tablet

I am wanting to get a tablet for the boat. It would be about all I use it for. Going to use it for Humminbird maps and mercury vessel view mobile. Which one is best in direct sunlight?

You will need to get one with a data plan
    None of them are good in the sun

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bass View Post
    You will need to get one with a data plan
    None of them are good in the sun
    I have unlimited hot spot on my phone. Was going to use that for wifi.

4. Member
    I tried that some years ago, prior to adding chips to my fishfinders. My pad wasn't bright enough to be worth much at the time. I did read about some shrouds that were made that were supposed to help, but I never found them.

Then you will need to charge your phone and your tablet and they will both eat up juice. There are reasons why you don't see tablets on the front or consoles of any boats.

I bought an iPad just for this reason and it was a disaster for in the boat applications.

6. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    You don't need a data plan if the maps are loaded onto the tablet. If you buy LM charts for individual waters online through ChartSelect, those charts can be downloaded and viewed on an unlimited number of devices through the FishSmart app. I have the Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn charts I purchased a couple years ago loaded onto 2 phones and 2 tablets.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

7. Member
    I don't think that you need wifi to just run Navionics Online. I just took my wife's ipad out in the yard, I put it in Airline Mode (which takes wifi out, as I understand it) and I could zoom and find things on the Navionics Online map. Load it up and try it out. Free and good. https://webapp.navionics.com/#boatin...y=kjdqDdx%7BbQ

richg99

p.s. Incidentally, her screen was pretty adequate for viewing the map. Times have changed since I tried it years ago.

I believe the vessel connect needs wifi to connect to the tablet. Not just about mapping.

9. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bass View Post
    I believe the vessel connect needs wifi to connect to the tablet. Not just about mapping.
    Vesselview Mobile uses Bluetooth so the tablet can connect directly.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

10. Member
    I use the Navionics boating app on the iPad for navigation some times and just sitting on the couch checking lakes out. For 15.00 it is hard to beat and if your iPad has a gps it’s even better just make sure you download your map before you get to the lake in case you have a WiFi problem.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    You don't need a data plan if the maps are loaded onto the tablet. If you buy LM charts for individual waters online through ChartSelect, those charts can be downloaded and viewed on an unlimited number of devices through the FishSmart app. I have the Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn charts I purchased a couple years ago loaded onto 2 phones and 2 tablets.
    That's what I am doing now with my phone. I bought all of the local lakes on chart select. They are on the console finder. Going to look in to it some more. Probably just be easier to get a second finder at the console. Still want to get a tablet for looking at maps at home.

12. Banned
    None of them. Even the brightest will over heat without shade.

13. Banned
    Heat and screen brightness will be the two biggest problems. There are a few tablets made specifically for outdoor use, with bright screens, proper cooling and water proofing. But, they are expensive since they cater to niche market. Typically law enforcement, military and FPV drone pilots.