24 Hr. Change +0.04 Ft.
    Last Year's Pool Level 14.33 Ft.
    Latest Flow M
    24 Hr. Precip Total 0.00 In.
    Latest Air Temp 37 °F
    Latest Water Temp 32 °F
    Latest Wind Info 0 MPH N
    Gusts at 0 MPH

High water in the spring is pretty normal. But, will it flood again? Right now, it's pretty low. Let's see how the northern melt off comes and how much rain comes. Then we will see what business survived the last year. In normal times it was very hard to keep a restaurant or even a bar in business in Savanna. So many places have disappeared in the past 15 years including the Army Depot and the marina up at the Palisades.... At least 3 motels have gone under over the past 20 years or so. Maybe things will be brighter - Hope so. The fishing is better than ever.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

2. Member
    Palisades was the 1st tournament location I fished back in the 90's. When they closed Brown's from keeping bass we started using Big Slough ramp since Spring Lake was the place to go. Now Palisades is so silted in no one uses it in the summer. I would think it would get dredged some time.
    As warm as it got this early I'm expecting a lot of water coming down from up north will have levels high and likely flood by the 1st week in April. The main channel has no ice in our area. Same as every year it's the rains that dictate how long it stays up. I personally like high water in the spring.
    Thompson has a couple decent motels if you need a room. Bikers ride the river through Savanna every summer so there should always be Poopy"s bar and restaurant and at least a couple others. I think most places were ignoring the mandates and stayed open in that area. Good luck this summer and maybe we'll see you on the water.
    LEGEND ALPHA 199DCX / 225 PRO XS MERCURY

3. Member
    All the pools north are rising fast. Some may be above minor flood stage next week.

I have some land and a clubhouse off the kaskaskia river in the southern part of the state. It has become an annual event to the point the ground I rent out only gets a crop about every other year.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

Latest Data
    03/12/2021 06:00 Central
    Latest Stage 9.73 Ft.
    24 Hr. Change +0.46 Ft.
    Tomorrow's Forecast
    (Issued 03/12/2021 02:10)
    9.70 Ft.
    Last Year's Stage 9.84 Ft.
    Today's Historic Normal Stage 6.00 Ft.
    Today's Historic Max Stage 13.50 Ft.
    Today's Historic Min Stage 1.20 Ft.
    Latest Pool Level 14.17 Ft.
    24 Hr. Change -0.55 Ft.
    Last Year's Pool Level 14.40 Ft.
    Latest Flow 85,833 CFS

Yep... looks like it jumped up about 4' - 9 days later than the post above. Looks like an early melt up north since the rain has held off here .... mostly.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

6. Member
    Looks like I was told wrong about snow amounts in Minnesota. All that's left is a few inches left over from snow storms this week. The pools up north are already cresting and are predicted to start dropping. Almost all runoff from the thaw should be here and gone in a couple weeks. It's all about rainfall now. The river erosion over the last several years could stand a break for a while no doubt. Maybe some weeds will come back.

Good report, Dave. It would be nice to see the grass and arrowheads in certain places. The prop I run can get jammed up with weeds so that's the down side for me. (It's a Trophy Plus).

Ranger R93 / Merc 200