Lake Harris Fuel Trouble

Good evening gentleman. I made the trip to Lake Harris from Michigan. First day boat ran good. Cant get the boat up on plane now. It falls on its face when i go to put the throttle to it. I have replaced the fuel filters, fuel pumps, new fuel lines. Any one in the area that can help? It is a 2008 Ranger z520 with a yamaha vmax hpdi

any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Codey

Codey, this may sound silly, but I had a boat that ran tops for the longest time, and then it started doing the exact same thing. It was like it wasn't getting enough fuel on takeoff. I finally determined that it was the fuel bulb. From the time I purchased the boat, the fuel bulb was in a horizontal position, as that is the way the dealer rigged it. I didn't have any problems for several years, then it started. Once I repositioned it in the upright/vertical position, my problem was solved. That is just a thought, but it would be worth trying. Not sure if the ethanol gets to them, and they can't hold the fuel pressure or what, but give it a try. See if you can put it in a vertical position like this picture, pump it up, and see if that fixes your problem.
    fuel bulb.JPG

Triton TR186DC / Mercury 175 Pro XS 4s Serial #3B043278 / Dual 12' Talons / Dual Solix 12" SI / Mega 360 / Garmin 1242xsv w/ LiveScope LVS34 / Motorguide TM / Bob’s 6" Hydraulic JP

3. Member
    absolutely i will give it a try Dave, thats the one thing i havent replaced yet

I did the same stuff, replaced filters, fuel, fuel lines, etc. Someone finally asked me this, and it was hard for me to understand why the motor ran perfect for several years, and then all of a sudden was doing this if it was the bulb being in the position it had been for several years. Sure enough, I just temporarily repositioned in a vertical position, pumped it up, and all my problems were solved. Before I repositioned it, every time I tried to get out of the hole, the motor would just fall on its face like it wasn't getting enough fuel. If i kept pumping the bulb and could finally get out of the hole, it ran tops. Its worth a shot, especially to save your fishing trip. Lake Harris has some big one's in it. I use to fish the Harris chain a lot.

Triton TR186DC / Mercury 175 Pro XS 4s Serial #3B043278 / Dual 12' Talons / Dual Solix 12" SI / Mega 360 / Garmin 1242xsv w/ LiveScope LVS34 / Motorguide TM / Bob’s 6" Hydraulic JP

5. Banned
    You might also check out Lake Deaton heading West on 44 but only if You get a couple more successful ignitions as there are usually NO Boats in Lake Deaton... Like a private lake especially on that Eastern shore along the trees...

If it takes a shit again, call ApopkaMarine™ in Inverness (further West on 44 towards Crystal River (Manatees; salt water fishing) ask for either 'Mike' or 'Greg' tell them some 'bald guy w/a Ranger™ sent You down there'

6. Member
    Same thing happened with a buddy and his Yamaha... Had to take it in and the fuel in the tank was a very high percentage of ethanol...very high. They had some gizmo to test it. He treated his gas every trip. He thinks he bought some that had already gone bad at the station tank. They drained the tank and put in new ethanol free gas and that fixed it. FYI...Walmart down here sells ethanol free fuel. This fixed his.

You may also have an air leak in the fuel line... To test for this...you give the boat throttle and have a buddy pump the bulb and keep it hard...if it runs good, replace the bulb, connector and line.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

7. Member
    I’ve been called a LOT of things, but a marine mechanic is not one of them. But my FIL’s boat did something similar years ago. Ran great at idle, would accelerate hard for maybe a second, then fell on its face and idled rough until throttle was returned to neutral...and then it ran smooth. Turned out to be a bad bulb

EDIT: you might give a call and ask Ryan at RNF Marine if he can offer some advice.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

Codey, do you have any updates on your issue?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    Same thing happened with a buddy and his Yamaha... Had to take it in and the fuel in the tank was a very high percentage of ethanol...very high. They had some gizmo to test it. He treated his gas every trip. He thinks he bought some that had already gone bad at the station tank. They drained the tank and put in new ethanol free gas and that fixed it. FYI...Walmart down here sells ethanol free fuel. This fixed his.

You may also have an air leak in the fuel line... To test for this...you give the boat throttle and have a buddy pump the bulb and keep it hard...if it runs good, replace the bulb, connector and line.
    Floridaflyer...which walmart sells the non ethanol? Thanks
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

10. Member
    Replaced the bulb lines low pressure fuel pumps plugs filters, no prevail on the trailer back in michigan going to the shop this afternoon.

11. Member
    Seems to be the culprit is the high pressure fuel pump. Thanks for all the input fellas i appreciate the help maybe next year i will have better luck.

Tight Lines
    Codey